4 replies to this topic

reks777

reks777

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

Dear All,

can someone help me out in this....I actually converted latlong in decimal degree to metres in arcmap by using the projections(ie geographic wgs84 and projected like british one). i actually did it and i got the metre value. However,the task is to add values to the metres like adding 100m and 1000m. The problem is that i dont know how or what process to use to convert it back to decimal degree after adding those values to it in excel.

Please help me out.

reks777

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

Dear All,

can someone help me out in this....I actually converted latlong in decimal degree to metres in arcmap by using the projections(ie geographic wgs84 and projected like british one). i actually did it and i got the metre value. However,the task is to add values to the metres like adding 100m and 1000m. The problem is that i dont know how or what process to use to convert it back to decimal degree after adding those values to it in excel.

Please help me out.

reks777

Well I do not know why you want to add to X and Y values but if you just create a buffer around those points at 100 and 1000m you can then get the buffers back in latitude longitude too.
Now when you already have points in British grid, you can import the excel file in Arc projected frame. Then just change to unprojected environment and then create two columns and fill them up with latitude and longitude values through Arc built in math functions.

Anu

reks777

reks777

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

Dear All,

Please help me out.

reks777

Well I do not know why you want to add to X and Y values but if you just create a buffer around those points at 100 and 1000m you can then get the buffers back in latitude longitude too.
Now when you already have points in British grid, you can import the excel file in Arc projected frame. Then just change to unprojected environment and then create two columns and fill them up with latitude and longitude values through Arc built in math functions.

Anu

Thanks for your response. But what i was just trying to say is ..out of a single point with its latlong, i needed just 4 points( that is to say towards the N S E W only). however i had the points in metres in arcmap, took it to excel and added 1000 to each point which is acting like the buffering but only to the four main poles. the problem now is after adding the 1000, i needed the points back to excel and also in decimal degree.

could this be solved by your answer. or is there anyway to perform buffering only northward, southward eastward and westward alone???

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

Well if you know how to import excel file in Arc your problem is solved. If you want I will do a sample for you, just send a sample across to me at promapper@gmail.com

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

If you are able to bring the excel on to arcmap, its pretty easy for YOU to have different data sets with different projections of your choice, changing from one projection to another is not going to be a problem at all.let me know if you want more help on this

Thanks
GISGURU

Dear All,

Please help me out.

reks777

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->