Photo

What is Best GPS Coordinate Values to Use?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

JoeFred

JoeFred

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • United States

Thanks to this forum and in particular SteveR & NickH, see other topic, my products are now online and in many outfitter shops in the area of Great Smoky Mountains National Park (USA). A sample: Lower Hazel Creek in NC.

I wish to add GPS coordinates to the maps on 30 second intervals. Because I need to keep a dark topo base map I cannot easily display the values within the map content, and because of the necessary 11x17 format, there is limited space in the margins. Which value(s) would you recommend my using in order to meet the needs of the majority of angler and hiker GPS users?

Example Location: Hazel Creek Cascades

Decimal Degrees (WGS84)
35.541667 -83.583333

Degrees, Minutes & Seconds
N35 32 30 W83 35 00

GPS
N 35 32.500 W 83 35.000

UTM
17N 265805 3936185

JF

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Thanks to this forum and in particular SteveR & NickH, see other topic, my products are now online and in many outfitter shops in the area of Great Smoky Mountains National Park (USA). A sample: Lower Hazel Creek in NC.

I wish to add GPS coordinates to the maps on 30 second intervals. Because I need to keep a dark topo base map I cannot easily display the values within the map content, and because of the necessary 11x17 format, there is limited space in the margins. Which value(s) would you recommend my using in order to meet the needs of the majority of angler and hiker GPS users?

Decimal Degrees (WGS84)
35.541667 -83.583333

N35 32 30 W83 35 00

GPS
N 35 32.500 W 83 35.000

UTM
17N 265805 3936185

JF

Hey JoeFred,

I would use NAD 83 UTM 17North for the GSMNP area. Lat/Long is great for navigating a boat across the ocean but kinda cumbersome to navigate a person from one hole to another hole on the same creek.

Good luck,
kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

JoeFred

JoeFred

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • United States

Decimal Degrees (WGS84)
35.541667 -83.583333

N35 32 30 W83 35 00

GPS
N 35 32.500 W 83 35.000

UTM
17N 265805 3936185

JF

Hey JoeFred,

I would use NAD 83 UTM 17North for the GSMNP area. Lat/Long is great for navigating a boat across the ocean but kinda cumbersome to navigate a person from one hole to another hole on the same creek.

Good luck,
kru

JoeFred

JoeFred

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • United States

Makes sense, kru. Thanks.

Question: Why would the Trails Illustrated map for this area specify UTM Zone 17 S Would it have to do with their using NAD 27 datum vs. NAD 83?

Melita Kennedy

Melita Kennedy

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • United States

Makes sense, kru. Thanks.

Question: Why would the Trails Illustrated map for this area specify UTM Zone 17 S Would it have to do with their using NAD 27 datum vs. NAD 83?

In this case, 'S' is for the latitude band, and is not a hemisphere marker. It's also used in MGRS / USNG notation. Wikipedia has a pretty complete explanation of MGRS.

Hope this helps,
Melita

JoeFred

JoeFred

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • United States

Yes, that helps.

Thanks,
JF