13 replies to this topic

Schley

Schley

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • United States

Here's a recent map I was commissioned to create by Scholastic Books for the middle-grade novel "The Midnight Tunnel: A Suzanna Snow
Mystery" by Angie Frasier. Just finished it and the book's due to be released early next year. It's a bit of a stylistic departure from my other maps but it works since the book's geared towards pre-teen girls.

Let me know what you think. :)

Mike

Attached Files

Mike Schley
Illustration & Design
www.mikeschley.com
Twitter – @schley

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Mike,

That is a wonderful map that fits the pre-teen audience. Great job! I would love to see this in full color for the full impact but I'm thinking the book publication probably is b&w on the inside, correct? Does the author have plans to have you add color maybe at a later date? It would make a nice poster or even just an additional merchandising piece she could offer to her readers. Again, great job.

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

I really like it also. Faux old maps usually dont work that well but this one is top-notch...Maybe its the way you did the black & white that makes it work so well. congratulations Mke!
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I agree. Wonderful! :)

Schley

Schley

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • United States

Michael -
Thanks for the kudos! The map was only commissioned in b&w though since it will be printed on the endsheets of a standard hardback novel. Unfortunately Scholastic doesn't have any plans to produce the map as a promotional poster but I like the idea and will mention it to my AD.

Jean-Louise -
Glad you like it! I tried hard to avoid looking too contrived. A lot of faux-vintage maps look overworked and unreadable so my focus was to create a clean, slightly delicate, map that looked semi-victorian in style but which could have been printed yesterday.
Mike Schley
Illustration & Design
www.mikeschley.com
Twitter – @schley

Schley

Schley

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • United States

Took a look at my original post and realized the attached image was a bit too small.

I've replaced it with a larger version of the map so check it out again if you'd like. You can even read the text now! ;)
Mike Schley
Illustration & Design
www.mikeschley.com
Twitter – @schley

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

... my focus was to create a clean, slightly delicate, map that looked semi-victorian in style but which could have been printed yesterday.

You nailed it, it's a brilliant map! I really like the way the horizontal lines in the sea become breaking waves on the coast and on the shorelines of the small islands.

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Reminds me of Arthur Ransome's maps for the Swallows and Amazons books. Nicely done. My only qualm: using tyset lettering instead of hand lettering. This is one thing that always throws me in modern faux-hand-drawn maps. Very few typefaces really convincingly look hand-drawn; subsequent iterations of the same letter always look identical.

But lovely work.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

Very well done!
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • United States

Very nice! It looks very much like the best maps from older books. I love these kinds of endpaper/book maps and have been known to buy books on the strength of the maps... :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

....have been known to buy books on the strength of the maps... :)

Well then check out my novel! See link below in my signature....I'm so shameless. :P

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

MapMania

MapMania

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Wow thats great! As a new Cartography student I would love to know how you got into the position to make maps for books? I really like what you created. What design program did you use?

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Wow thats great! As a new Cartography student I would love to know how you got into the position to make maps for books? I really like what you created. What design program did you use?

Connections, connections, connections. I've made maps for books, including ones published by Scholastic here in Canada and it was always through connections - people I know work for the company. Most people don't know any cartographers so when they do hit upon one they generally hold on to them.

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Connections, connections, connections. I've made maps for books, including ones published by Scholastic here in Canada and it was always through connections - people I know work for the company. Most people don't know any cartographers so when they do hit upon one they generally hold on to them.

The 3 Cs! ;)

I've got my last contract entirely from my website. My client search the web and "found" me. Having a good portfolio is a wonderful tool too...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->