• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

Not sure where to post this.
I used to draw my survey plans with CAD fonts but have moved on to ttf''s as the extended characters give me more to 'play with'.
Most ttf fonts though have strangely large degree signs ° and i don't want curley ' and " for bearing annotations.
4 should be closed (regulations) 7 without any strokes through and all numbers unambiguous.

I am after something clean and crisp with extended characters.
I have tried Malgun Gothic and Humnst77 BT, but both these suffer from an enlarged ° sign, the latter being smaller but still a bit more than I'd prefer.
Fancy fonts are out. It must be clearly legible when printed to A3 size at 2.5mm minimum height and yet be able to be clear when reduced to an A4 print.
My plans get scanned from A3 at the other end and loaded onto web for other surveyors access. So they need to be able to stand that sort of treatment and still be clear.

I would be prefer freebies but would consider a purchase if its really what suits me.

Suggestions much appreciated.

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

The last CAD shop I worked for used Arial exclusively. It is legible, and scales nicely. I think it has curly ' and " though.

I've come to like gill sans mt, but have never used it for CAD.

Cheers,
David

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Segoe UI, Kozuka Gothic Pro L, and Malgun Gothic all seem to have the characteristics you are looking for and are probably free since I rarely pay for fonts :rolleyes:

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

The last CAD shop I worked for used Arial exclusively. It is legible, and scales nicely. I think it has curly ' and " though.

Most fonts have "straight" versions of the single-quote and double-quote characters. In Windows these can be pasted from the Character Map (All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map).

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

thanks for replies.
I liked the Kozuka Gothic Pro L (it is certainly crisp) but the degree sign took up a lot of space. It was followed by a space that could not be removed. Seemed odd. I used the Character Map and 'Alt 0176' for ° to same effect.
If I can find a way to ovecome that oddity I would go that way.
I have to watch the 1 as some have a tendency to look like a 'sloppy' 7 when reduced .
regards
Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->