cartdeco

cartdeco

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Australia

Hi All,

I'm interested to know if anyone has used, is developing or can recommend an iPhone/iPad map application.

In particular I'm intersted in an application that uses custom maps - not using Google or OpenStreet Map - and allows some sort of interactivity. The application should be primarily for use by bushwalkers or in car use, but not limited to these pursuits.

There is one called Bitmap that I've used, which allows you to add a geo-referenced image, but there's no other functionality other than positioning yourself on the map.

Craig
Craig Molyneux
Spatial Vision
www.spatialvision.com.au
www.svmaps.com.au
craig.molyneux@spatialvision.com.au

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Hi All,

I'm interested to know if anyone has used, is developing or can recommend an iPhone/iPad map application.

In particular I'm intersted in an application that uses custom maps - not using Google or OpenStreet Map - and allows some sort of interactivity. The application should be primarily for use by bushwalkers or in car use, but not limited to these pursuits.

There is one called Bitmap that I've used, which allows you to add a geo-referenced image, but there's no other functionality other than positioning yourself on the map.

Craig

Hi Craig—believe you guys are an ESRI shop from memory right? I don't think this is what you are after but there is and ArcGIS fro iOS which is a free download for users which can consume services from ArcGIS Server so I think you can serve any tiled or dynamic service.

The other one I have looked at is pacmaps.com which also offer a sales channel.

Sorry but I haven't looked into either of them thoroughly but might give you something to check out.

Cheers,
Sam.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

We've just finished development (we hope!) on an iOS map application that I believe is currently sitting in Apple's approval hopper. It lets you download geospatial PDFs to your iPad or iPhone. I didn't work on it, so I can't give any further details than that off the top of my head, but there are some threads on the subject around if you search for 'Avenza' you should find them.

Here's the press release from July announcing it. It has a list of features, though a few more may have made it in before we were finished (again, I don't actually know):

http://www.cartotalk...?showtopic=5877
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

email: andrew@avenza.com
phone: 416.487.5116

cartdeco

cartdeco

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Australia

Thanks Sam and Andrew for your feedback.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Avenza product, as this may suit what I'm looking for. The ArcGIS app seems reliant on having phone or wifi reception, so may not suit all users if they're in the outdoors. The PacMap app looks like it will do what I require, but these are bought on a map by map basis.

I have discovered a few other apps that are self-contained, such as the OS Great Britain 1:250,000 app, which covers the entire country; Trails is a great outdoor app; and Bitmap allows you to add your own geo-referenced jpgs.

If I come across any other apps I'll share them with the group.

Craig
Craig Molyneux
Spatial Vision
www.spatialvision.com.au
www.svmaps.com.au

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

I'm looking forward to seeing the Avenza product, as this may suit what I'm looking for. The ArcGIS app seems reliant on having phone or wifi reception, so may not suit all users if they're in the outdoors. The PacMap app looks like it will do what I require, but these are bought on a map by map basis.

I only caught snippets of the design discussions (the guy who actually worked on it is two cubicles over from me) but I believe that was a big concern when he was working on it. Namely, that you can get an actual map onto your device, and then not to be connected to anything for it to work. Though I believe if you're connected, you can download new maps to the device directly. Don't take that as gospel though, this is all second-hand -- my bailiwick is MAPublisher ;)
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

email: andrew@avenza.com
phone: 416.487.5116

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I only caught snippets of the design discussions (the guy who actually worked on it is two cubicles over from me) but I believe that was a big concern when he was working on it. Namely, that you can get an actual map onto your device, and then not to be connected to anything for it to work. Though I believe if you're connected, you can download new maps to the device directly.

That is correct. Apparently it's also able to get maps from a network share, though I haven't been able to set that up yet. But yeah, the fact that the map is physically on the device is a very nice feature. It'll work faster and when you're abroad you don't get hit with huge roaming internet charges.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

sknecht

sknecht

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:hyperlocal vector maps
  • Germany

Not sure if I got your specs right - we do have an Phone/iPod touch app that also works completely offline:
"Walk & Ride" for six German cities: http://walknride.com/en/index.html

Highly detailed maps, up to 1:500 - vector rendered onboard.

* all buildings with footprints and housenumbers
* pedestrians pathes, parks
* public transport stations
* sights, public buildings and a myriad of POIs
* easy offline routing – no connection necessary, no roaming charges
* multimodal routing for pedestrians, public transport and car
* comprehensive maps and a street index for the city
* easy determination of current location for iPod touch and iPhone: navigate by street crossings
* multilingual user interface in German, English, French, Spanish, Dutch and Italian
Stefan Knecht, CIO United Maps, Munich, Germany.

cartdeco

cartdeco

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Australia

Thanks Stefan for pointing me to the "walk & Ride" maps. I bought the Berlin one to have a look it, and I must say it is very good and great value for money.

A couple of other apps that may be of interest to others are The North Face's Trailhead app, EveryTrail Pro (these don't use offline maps), Gaia GPS and Routebuddy Atlas.

All have their pro's and con's and appeal to different segments of the market, but for me Routebuddy Atlas seems to be the strongest product.

Craig
Craig Molyneux
Spatial Vision
www.spatialvision.com.au
www.svmaps.com.au

tom harrison

tom harrison

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • United States

I have 10 of my maps as apps for the iPhone. They are basically my printed maps ported to the iPhone with GPS and measurement functions added. I partnered with a developer who does this as a sideline to his day job with NASA. Yeah, he is a rocket scientist, and he writes the code. This link to my website will have another link to the app page which has more information.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

ITopoMaps is a nice app that allows download and cacheing of USGS topo quads. Good value.

Swiss Topo has a nice app: http://www.swisstopo...mobile_iph.html

KaroleSchlueter

KaroleSchlueter

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

A couple of other apps that may be of interest to others are The North Face's Trailhead app, EveryTrail Pro (these don't use offline maps), Gaia GPS and Routebuddy Atlas.

Dante

Dante

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Hate to thread steal....but I just stumbled on your site. I'm wondering if this new program can be adapted for a military application. I fly helicopters and of course the army is behind on moving map technology. I have be scouring the internet looking for a good map program on the market. Some are close but if you have the ability to take a map that we are already using and adapt it to an app then that be awesome....

hope to hear from you soon

dante

hazardmanager

hazardmanager

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

If you wish to enter any map, geographically correct, mental, or otherwise, try Hazard Manager 3. You can upload any jpeg and use the full range of Hazard Point tools to configure that point. Renameable layers, photographs, checklists, resettable priority flags, custom fields, attachable documents and more.

ESRI etc have now appeared on iTunes with free apps. Control and format of the maps becomes an issue. With Hazard Manager 3 you control everything from import to export.

Chris McLeod
Hazard Manager 3
http://itunes.apple....d422365362?mt=8

AnyMapps

AnyMapps

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi Craig,

I'm happy to suggest http://anymapps.com, which allows you to build native Android/iPhone app from you map image.

Still in beta and we're looking for early addopters

Cheers,
Ros

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->