2 replies to this topic

ArcMapper

ArcMapper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United States

I can't seem to overlay geotiffs in GE. I don't have the 'pro' version, just the free version. I've looked it up in their help but couldn't find much. I can open the files, I choose overlay and I put in the N, S, E, W extents, but all I see is a white box with arrows pointing in a circle (like a giant refresh button or something). Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? The tiffs are in WGS84 like it says in the help forums.

Simmer

Simmer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Trinidad and Tobago

For all I know that's only working in the Pro Version:
http://www.google.co.../earth_pro.html

But you can convert the file to a JPEG file and and put it in as a vector overlay. In the KML file for that overlay you can easily add the necessary coordinates. But keep in mind that the size of images is limited. If they are too big, the free version of GE can't show them.

Bests,
Simmer

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

I can't seem to overlay geotiffs in GE...

I find the easiest way of overlaying georeferenced map images on GE imagery is to run gdalinfo on the image, which will produce data that will include the lat/lon of the centre of the map. Fly to this coordinate in GE, then add the overlay. This will be centred properly in GE and it is then a simple matter to resize and rotate the image as necessary (resize holding down the shift key, so as to not affect the aspect ratio of the image. Do not drag the GE satellite imagery before adding the map, but you can zoom in or out ).

Regards,
Nick.
Caversham, Reading, England.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->