9 replies to this topic

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

These are probably going to be my last burnt offerings from the world of Highland Time Trialling for a while.

The style has remained more or less the same but these latest maps have had a few tweaks here and there which has made some of the effects easier to pull off which in turn has allowed for a few new graphical flourishes here and there.

Attached File  stage_1.jpg   665.7KB   246 downloads

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

Attached File  stage_2.jpg   771.21KB   142 downloads

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

Attached File  stage_3_4.jpg   803.59KB   187 downloads

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Your usual stunning style, Pete! I love the look and feel of your maps. There's a typo on the last one though (last line of the first block of text: "... take care when cossing the road"
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

Your usual stunning style, Pete! I love the look and feel of your maps. There's a typo on the last one though (last line of the first block of text: "... take care when cossing the road"

:o

Thanks Hans - That's what a fresh pair of eyes does!

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

The biggest challenge with all three maps was the trees. Compared with previous maps, the Cairngorm maps have larger areas of woodland which really choked my computer, especially when trying to render the drop shadows. I had to go right back to the "hero" tree I had designed and simplify it - the original hero contained more layers to give the impression of a solid object so I reduced the number of layers to 4 and also reduced the complexity of the shapes in each layer. It might not seem like a massive step down in terms of quality but if you consider that the scatter brush the hero is used in will duplicate the tree hundreds of times within an area of woodland then the small savings really add up.

Also, the settings of the scatterbrush were altered to reduce the overall size of the trees and space them out more. In early maps the trees were relatively dense which took longer to draw and much of the underlying layers were covered up. now the trees are less dense but because of the three layers of different trees you still get a good impression of volume without the woodland breaking up too much.

The water was also enhanced a little from the previous race maps. Before, I had used a tapering brush to simulate stream taper (naturally!) and then expanded it to polygons and then stacked up several copies of the same compound shape. I still utilised the same tapering ink brush but I used the resulting compound path as a clipping path and based much of the colour on very simple shapes. I also added a little but of an indent to the water in addition to darkening the surrounding colours to help integrate them th the rest of the map.

There was a very awkward quirk with the map for stage 3 and 4 (aside from the massive overlaps between the two races) in that the distances for the APR didn't really work with the previous method of inserting the cumulative distances into the markers because the route repeats on itself and the race isn't a whole number of laps. I had to go back to the distances by section for the APR and make it clear in the description that the race is one-and-a-bit laps. Hopefully it's not too confusing and people can work out the mileage!

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Same as Hans said for me...a lovely style there Pete. and do take care when cussing the road!
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Sv_BG

Sv_BG

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Bulgaria

I love your style/maps too, but the thing that impresses me the most is every single time you post a map here in the map gallery, you explain the techniques you've used to produce it :) Thanks a lot for that!

Cheers,
Svetoslav

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • United States

Nice work as usual.
Re-cycling... (I see what you did there) :lol:
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

Thanks for the feedback. The race organiser is very happy with the maps - apparently they've earned me free entry for all four races ... I've still not made my mind up if that's a good thing :lol: !

I love your style/maps too, but the thing that impresses me the most is every single time you post a map here in the map gallery, you explain the techniques you've used to produce it :) Thanks a lot for that!

Cheers,
Svetoslav

Thanks Svetoslav! I think it makes the map more interesting if you explain a bit about how you arrived at the end result. The process is as important as the map ... maybe moreso ... but that's not to say that I lay all my secrets on the line: you have to hold a little back in order to maintain an air of mystery :D !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->