Photo

How long would it take to travel from Earth to Mars?

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

renyold

renyold

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Also, is it possible to land a spaceship on the surface and walk around without a spacesuit such as we do here on Earth? I heard that Mars atmosphere is almost similar to Earth because it's mostly made up of Carbon Dioxide.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Astronomy is one of the reasons why I got into cartography. ;) If I'm correct based on our limited technology I think it takes 8-10 months using some sort of nuclear engines. Mars has an atmosphere unsafe to humans, it has trace amounts of oxygen & water vapor. It's believed that millions of years ago some sort of major disaster may have impacted the marshian surface so bad that the water that did exist was ejected into space. Now I'm not an expert on the topic but KI can say that at this point in the time line humans would die if we to breath the atmosphere. However millions of years ago Mars could have been breathable & one day whether through years of evolution or human terror-forming it could one day be breathable or even become our home. You can research Mars on the internet, we are cartographers on this site & though many of us study geography we can not pretend to be inter planetary geographers, or in short we are Earth geographers.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,869 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

In addition to what Hasdrubal has said, I can highly recommend the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. Pretty darn accurate science-content (or so I'm told) and a good story too.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->