Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

No, I'm not “assuming they were incapable of anything but primitive record-keeping.” I'm thinking, based on what little I know of Cherokee culture, that they would have thought charcoal or paint on animal skin to be too impermanent, too ephemeral, for such important knowledge. These were people who knew what things lasted in damp Southern woodlands and what things were dust within two generations.

Things humans want to be permanent are carved in wood or stone. Or burned to CD. ;)
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

No, I'm not “assuming they were incapable of anything but primitive record-keeping.” I'm thinking, based on what little I know of Cherokee culture, that they would have thought charcoal or paint on animal skin to be too impermanent, too ephemeral, for such important knowledge. These were people who knew what things lasted in damp Southern woodlands and what things were dust within two generations.

Things humans want to be permanent are carved in wood or stone. Or burned to CD. ;)

Point taken. Thanks Dennis. I think I'll work into the plot that maybe they started with wood or stone carvings and then upon contact with European explorers they were taught a different skill set to transfer those carvings to renderings on vellum. That would make a good backstory explanation. Sort of a believable legend. Appreciate you taking the time to debate me! :P

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->