Carri Marschner

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:GIS, general cartography, mapping for ecology
  • United States

Greetings,

I've got (still) mouse activity data for ~700 points across a landscape. I've made some Thiessen polygons, and would like to associate the mouse activity table to the Thiessen polygons. Sadly, the FIDs don't match for the point and the Thiessen layers, so I have no matching column to use for a join or relate. I do have one point within each polygon, and there must be a way to get the polygon to pick up the data from the one point within its boundary. Any ideas on how to do this?

Thank you for any light you can shed on the subject.
Carri Marschner
Cary Institute for Ecosystem Studies
Millbrook, NY
www.caryinstitute.org

rmangan

rmangan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • No Country Selected

Greetings,

I've got (still) mouse activity data for ~700 points across a landscape. I've made some Thiessen polygons, and would like to associate the mouse activity table to the Thiessen polygons. Sadly, the FIDs don't match for the point and the Thiessen layers, so I have no matching column to use for a join or relate. I do have one point within each polygon, and there must be a way to get the polygon to pick up the data from the one point within its boundary. Any ideas on how to do this?

Thank you for any light you can shed on the subject.

Have you tried a spatial join?

Carri Marschner

Carri Marschner

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:GIS, general cartography, mapping for ecology
  • United States

*Just* the tool I was looking for. Worked perfectly. Thank you.
Carri Marschner
Cary Institute for Ecosystem Studies
Millbrook, NY
www.caryinstitute.org

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

Do not use the auto generated FID or OID tool that ArcGIS adds to a table. The values of this column changes anytime a feature is added or deleted. You should create a new field with a unique (static) identifier before you do your spatial join.

There used to be a free arcscript that will calculate a new number for each row in a table. I can't remember what it was called though, but it was from this site.

Hope that helps,
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->