- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

nagaraju

nagaraju

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • India

HOW TO IMPERT THE NIKON TOTAL STATION DATA IN TO ARCGIS AND HOW TO GEOREFFERENCE THAT.PLEASE GIVE ME SUGGESTION.SURVEY EASTING AND NORTHING ARE NOT MATCHING WITH GPS VALUES OF SAME POINT.

PLEASE GIVE ME SUGGESTION,
THANKING YOU.

Edited by nagaraju, 31 July 2010 - 07:23 AM.

canvas101

canvas101

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • United States

HOW TO IMPERT THE NIKON TOTAL STATION DATA IN TO ARCGIS AND HOW TO GEOREFFERENCE THAT.PLEASE GIVE ME SUGGESTION.SURVEY EASTING AND NORTHING ARE NOT MATCHING WITH GPS VALUES OF SAME POINT.

PLEASE GIVE ME SUGGESTION,
THANKING YOU.

Hello Nagaraju,

When dealing with survey data you must understand there are many variables that can affect its final output. For example the difference between ground versus grid can introduce a lot of perceived error if the end user is unaware of the effect on the exported data. As far as using this data in ArGIS most data collection devices that are running a survey app will allow you to export in a format that ArcGIS could read. Normally you would collect your data in the field process in the office (e. Carlson Survey) and then export to a GIS format. Hope this sheds a little light on your inquiry.

Regards

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

Not sure what model nikon you have.
Mine will export onboard stored data in xyz format (easting, northing,elevation, code (description).
If you are working in a projected coordinate system then you could import that straight into GIS system and work with that.
Its a long time since I used Esri so thats out of my area, but i do remember bring these files in.

If you are in ground coordinates then you could add a scale factor within the Nikon software and reprocess the raw data to give true grid coordinates.
Something to bear in mind obviously is any bearing datum must also be taken into account.
Are you working in the same bearing datum as the projection you are working in?
If not then that too could be corrected inside the Nikon befor exporting.
You need to be fully aware of what you are doing and I'd suggest an export of the raw coordinates before you start 'messing' with it.
Nikon doesn't change the raw data only the stored coordinates so that is secure.

Maybe a bit more explanation of what you are doing - grid/ ground distances, true bearings (azimuths - different countries mix these meanings), projected coordinate system etc.

regards
Richard

Martin F

Martin F

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Software/database/web development for cartography, surveying & GIS.
  • Canada

Normally you would collect your data in the field process in the office (eg. Carlson Survey) and then export to a GIS format.

An example of free software for processing field survey data is Copan by UGL.

And as suggested by Richard and canvas101, you may need more detailed Q&A regarding survey measurements and coordinate systems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->