• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

Is there a simple way to have type entered as bracketed text without having to resort to typing in the brackets each time.
Or better still to add brackets to a group of text (as in a selection - not a Grouped set of objects).
This using CS5. (the 5 here looks odd as in Subscript - at least on my computer)
I have plans that require Point Numbers to be shown as for egs (5), (6) etc and its a pain to annotate such that way.
I do have Mapublisher - not sure if that would help this?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Is there a simple way to have type entered as bracketed text without having to resort to typing in the brackets each time.
Or better still to add brackets to a group of text (as in a selection - not a Grouped set of objects).
This using CS5. (the 5 here looks odd as in Subscript - at least on my computer)
I have plans that require Point Numbers to be shown as for egs (5), (6) etc and its a pain to annotate such that way.
I do have Mapublisher - not sure if that would help this?

Assuming you have those numbers stored as attributes of points, yes.

Set up a new attribute, type string. Then apply the following expression to it:
Attached File  Screen_shot_2010_07_21_at_12.29.44.png   44.27KB   142 downloads

If you have the numbers as plain text you can still do it. Drag it into the MAP View as type Text, you can then access the #Text attribute (which holds the actual text string) and apply the same expression to it: "(" & #Text & ")"

Hope this helps.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

Many thanks Hans - yes that sounds good.
I'll give it a whirl.
I can create attributes and some will have them already, but would have most need for plain text.
regards
Richard

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Australia

Hans that is just so neat - thanks.
What a time saver.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hans that is just so neat - thanks.
What a time saver.

Yeah, it's pretty awesome once you get the hang of it. I once had a map with 103 numbered locations on it, number 14 had to be taken out of it and the rest renumbered. Would have been a major hassle manually, took mere seconds this way :)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->