• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

Is there a simple way to have type entered as bracketed text without having to resort to typing in the brackets each time.
Or better still to add brackets to a group of text (as in a selection - not a Grouped set of objects).
This using CS5. (the 5 here looks odd as in Subscript - at least on my computer)
I have plans that require Point Numbers to be shown as for egs (5), (6) etc and its a pain to annotate such that way.
I do have Mapublisher - not sure if that would help this?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Is there a simple way to have type entered as bracketed text without having to resort to typing in the brackets each time.
Or better still to add brackets to a group of text (as in a selection - not a Grouped set of objects).
This using CS5. (the 5 here looks odd as in Subscript - at least on my computer)
I have plans that require Point Numbers to be shown as for egs (5), (6) etc and its a pain to annotate such that way.
I do have Mapublisher - not sure if that would help this?

Assuming you have those numbers stored as attributes of points, yes.

Set up a new attribute, type string. Then apply the following expression to it:
Screen_shot_2010_07_21_at_12.29.44.png

If you have the numbers as plain text you can still do it. Drag it into the MAP View as type Text, you can then access the #Text attribute (which holds the actual text string) and apply the same expression to it: "(" & #Text & ")"

Hope this helps.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

Many thanks Hans - yes that sounds good.
I'll give it a whirl.
I can create attributes and some will have them already, but would have most need for plain text.
regards
Richard

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Australia

Hans that is just so neat - thanks.
What a time saver.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hans that is just so neat - thanks.
What a time saver.

Yeah, it's pretty awesome once you get the hang of it. I once had a map with 103 numbered locations on it, number 14 had to be taken out of it and the rest renumbered. Would have been a major hassle manually, took mere seconds this way :)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->