9 replies to this topic

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Canada

Question - when copying from one file to another there is the option of select "Paste Remember Layers" which will keep the same layer names in file you are pasting to as what is in the file you are copying from. But I want to be able to paste the sub-layers as well. Instead, Illustrator takes the top level layer and pastes everything to that layer. Is there any way around this, short of changing all sublayers to layers in my original files?

We are using CS5 on a PC.

BTW - a suggestion to the forum admins - can we break the software section in the forum down into different software categories such as Illustrator, ArcGIS, etc.? It would make it easier to browse through relevant postings.

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Question - when copying from one file to another there is the option of select "Paste Remember Layers" which will keep the same layer names in file you are pasting to as what is in the file you are copying from. But I want to be able to paste the sub-layers as well. Instead, Illustrator takes the top level layer and pastes everything to that layer. Is there any way around this, short of changing all sublayers to layers in my original files?

We are using CS5 on a PC.

BTW - a suggestion to the forum admins - can we break the software section in the forum down into different software categories such as Illustrator, ArcGIS, etc.? It would make it easier to browse through relevant postings.

Is your original groups or sublayers? Why would you mention changing all sublayers to layers in the original files? Sublayers are layers.

If they are in fact layers/sublayers in the original, then it sounds like an issue with CS5. I do this all the time in CS4/PC w/o any hitches. The only thing that I will loose are groupings.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

I reproduce this "bug" every version from cs to cs3, so it's not just a matter of cs5. I already posted about that at cartotalk some time ago and didn't find any productive answer. Right know while exporting from manifold to Illustrator I'm trying to keep everything at major level till I'm sure nothing is going to change in my map.

Why would you mention changing all sublayers to layers in the original files?

Don't know about Rudie's cases but in mine I export a lot of layers from manifold, so to keep the structure inside manifold I subgroup them often ( I often copy many sheets with the same layers structure to one Illustrator file and then stylize it at once) and come to original file of each map - while doing that I lerned not to subplayer till everything is back into right files.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Canada

Why would you mention changing all sublayers to layers in the original files? Sublayers are layers.
kru

If I made all the sublayers, layers in my original file, then copied everything over, the layers are retained. If I have layers and sublayers in my original file, the sublayers tend to disappear . . . although I just did such a copy and paste and the sublayers were retained. But I can't recall doing anything differently.

ErinGreb

ErinGreb

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:atlas design, textbook cartography, historical map design, guidebook maps
  • United States

I notice that when you copy everything in a sublayer, Illustrator remembers the sublayer and pastes both the main layer and sublayer. But if you are only copying a portion of the objects from a layer, it only remembers the main layer. Annoying, but my solution is sometimes to copy everything in the sublayer, paste, then eliminate what I don't want, or I create a new sublayer with the same name with only the objects I want to copy.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Canada

I notice that when you copy everything in a sublayer, Illustrator remembers the sublayer and pastes both the main layer and sublayer. But if you are only copying a portion of the objects from a layer, it only remembers the main layer. Annoying, but my solution is sometimes to copy everything in the sublayer, paste, then eliminate what I don't want, or I create a new sublayer with the same name with only the objects I want to copy.

You're right. When you copy everything, the sulayers are remembered. When you only copy some elements, the sublayers don't get carried over. Weird. Thanks.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Solution, drag the layer or sub-layer to where you want it and hold down the ctrl-key when you drop it. That will copy the selection.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Canada

Solution, drag the layer or sub-layer to where you want it and hold down the ctrl-key when you drop it. That will copy the selection.

That works between files as well?

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:geology, GIS, cartography, famlily, reading, cooking, travelling, gardening
  • Switzerland

That works between files as well?

On a Mac it's the "alt"-key, not "ctrl", I think. "Ctrl" does what the right mouse button does on a PC. But I don't think this works between files.
Cheers,

Kathi

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

no, one can't do that between files...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->