4 replies to this topic

Enviro Mapper

Enviro Mapper

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Canada

Hi,
I figured this was the best place to start. As the topic indicated I'm a recent grad with a background in Environmental Studies/Geography and GIS/Cartography. I'm entering the big wide-world of the "career" at the moment, without much luck thus far. I think my main issue is that I'm living in a smaller city so job prospects just aren't the same as in larger centers. But regardless, I figured this forum would be a good place to drop by for advice on this or that.

Thanks!

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Hi,
I figured this was the best place to start. As the topic indicated I'm a recent grad with a background in Environmental Studies/Geography and GIS/Cartography. I'm entering the big wide-world of the "career" at the moment, without much luck thus far. I think my main issue is that I'm living in a smaller city so job prospects just aren't the same as in larger centers. But regardless, I figured this forum would be a good place to drop by for advice on this or that.

Thanks!

Welcome! and good luck with the job hunting.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Hi,

Thanks!

It's a tough job market rate now to get hired in any good job despite the slow job growth. However geography is not always the only problem:

- the catch 22 is that while there are jobs in this field out there they always want experience. To quote "how can I get the experience if no one will hire me?"

- Jobs that are quoted as entry level tend to have employers turn around in a catch 22 request & demand 2 years plus experience

- technically we are recovering from a severe recession though it's possible that we could as easily slip into a double dip recession. Which means cartographers/GIS employees with experience are also competing for entry positions out of desperation. Not fair for entry level workers but that's the way it is

- Lack of connections means disappointment if you can't establish any. Keep posting here, & show your portfolio. This site is a good place to start but do not count your chickens using this site as the only resource.

- Your college did not give or teach you the right tools to find a good job

- Be prepared to land a job outside the field. If this happens try to use your skills to land a job that will give you good pay & the satisfaction that despite not landing that job you trained for it did help you in other area's to land another very good job requiring a lot of your skills obtained with your certification.

- not in literal terms: if you land a crappy job in say retail spit in their face figuratively & don't give up hope. You have the skills to be in administration, & the ability to be trained as a market analyst

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:geology, GIS, cartography, famlily, reading, cooking, travelling, gardening
  • Switzerland

To quote "how can I get the experience if no one will hire me?"

I've been there myself, and it's a crappy situation. Chews away on your self-esteem. :( But my experience has been that patience pays off in the end. Sure, I had the good fortune to have a partner who supported us both with his job, so the pressure to find a job wasn't quite so big. But I had to search for a good half-year and got mostly refuses. And then suddenly, within about 36 hours, I had three job offers to choose from. And the one I ended up taking has proved to be my dream job.

So I wish you all the best, lots of patience and perseverance through the hard time. And that little bit of luck that's necessary to find what you dream of - or at least something close to that! ;)
Cheers,

Kathi

Enviro Mapper

Enviro Mapper

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Canada

Welcome! and good luck with the job hunting.

Thank you!

It's a tough job market rate now to get hired in any good job despite the slow job growth. However geography is not always the only problem:

- the catch 22 is that while there are jobs in this field out there they always want experience. To quote "how can I get the experience if no one will hire me?"

- Jobs that are quoted as entry level tend to have employers turn around in a catch 22 request & demand 2 years plus experience

- technically we are recovering from a severe recession though it's possible that we could as easily slip into a double dip recession. Which means cartographers/GIS employees with experience are also competing for entry positions out of desperation. Not fair for entry level workers but that's the way it is

- Lack of connections means disappointment if you can't establish any. Keep posting here, & show your portfolio. This site is a good place to start but do not count your chickens using this site as the only resource.

- Your college did not give or teach you the right tools to find a good job

- Be prepared to land a job outside the field. If this happens try to use your skills to land a job that will give you good pay & the satisfaction that despite not landing that job you trained for it did help you in other area's to land another very good job requiring a lot of your skills obtained with your certification.

- not in literal terms: if you land a crappy job in say retail spit in their face figuratively & don't give up hope. You have the skills to be in administration, & the ability to be trained as a market analyst

Haha, well, that's a little depressing.
I'm definitely not limiting myself to only GIS/Cart related jobs. Jobs in general are few and far between here, but I'm sure I will be able to at least find something to pay the bills for awhile.

My portfolio eh? I did make PDFs of a bunch of my school work done during the year...but what would I be showing it here for? To see what people think of it?

I've been there myself, and it's a crappy situation. Chews away on your self-esteem. :( But my experience has been that patience pays off in the end. Sure, I had the good fortune to have a partner who supported us both with his job, so the pressure to find a job wasn't quite so big. But I had to search for a good half-year and got mostly refuses. And then suddenly, within about 36 hours, I had three job offers to choose from. And the one I ended up taking has proved to be my dream job.

So I wish you all the best, lots of patience and perseverance through the hard time. And that little bit of luck that's necessary to find what you dream of - or at least something close to that! ;)

I hear you about the self-esteem, it's only been a month but I still get worried. My partner also works full time, and it miiight be enough to get by, but at this point we really want to start putting away for a house sometime in the future. I think I'll pick up some temp work while I continue searching for the "real" job. And thanks for the support, it's much needed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->