4 replies to this topic

minddrive

minddrive

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

All,

The link http://www.gisnatura...t/wsmnr/map.htm will take you to a first stab at a website (I know there are some issues with this, and I am about to revise it - any suggestions welcome) with an embedded map in multiple formats. Click on the thumbnail of the map and you will get the option to download the map in Flash, AIR, PNG or PDF. Flash and AIR are simplified versions.

The location surveyed is a 35m x 55 m nature reserve in the grounds of a primary school in England. The site and maps are intended for the teachers and pupils at the school, but also to be useful for official purposes. Hence the multiple formats.

I would appreciate feedback on any of the versions.

Thanks.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Looks nice, but I think the symbolisation for coniferous is a bit too much of the "ground zero" type. It's also not exactly in line with the rest of the map, so it draws too much attention to just a handful of trees.

Another thing you may want to consider looking into is somehow displaying the height of the trees. This will help the reader to form a more accurate mental picture.

There used to be several maps posted here that were designed for D&D and tabletop wargaming, they're extremely large scale too, those might be worth checking out (if only I could find them)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

minddrive

minddrive

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

There used to be several maps posted here that were designed for D&D and tabletop wargaming, they're extremely large scale too, those might be worth checking out (if only I could find them)
[/quote]

Hi Hans,

Thanks. Funny how a new pair of eyes can make something obvious. There are in fact five size classes on the map for each of deciduous, coniferous and evergreen (not all present). These are symbolised by increasing symbol sizes - but this is not indicated in the key!

Agree about the coniferous symbol - I wasn't happy about that, and it does draw attention.

The table-top wargaming maps could include really useful stuff! I'll look out for them. But if you find them first, a link would be greatly appreciated,

Bruce

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Canada

I would also suggest that you do a Google image search on "site plan". Some CAD designers really have this kind of mapping down to a stunning art.

The main difficulties I have with your drawing at this stage are:

1. The trees are overlapping each other in solid/glowing colours, without any apparent rhyme or reason to the stacking. I suggest some sort of transparency, or else no fills at all. Again, samples from the CAD world may give you some inspiration.

2. The tree names are almost impossible to read.

This has the potential to be an excellent map if you do some design alterations. Get rid of the glow effects and make sure it works as an information graphic. B)

I'm also curious as to how you did your survey, and whether or not the individual tree canopies are to scale, or proportionately scaled down.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Iulian

Iulian

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Romania

First of all, the main idea is great. It will be greater if you can adjust by example the scale bar. I think actual scale bar is too large for this kind of layout. You can use a simple style for it. Trails in the woods are not so visible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->