Carri Marschner

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:GIS, general cartography, mapping for ecology
  • United States

Greetings,

A very basic question: I have polygons on the landscape, for which I have data from various sources. I'd like to use the polygon names to link the polygon with, say, mouse activity density in the polygon, number of ticks in the polygon, or amount of seeds falling in the polygon. Once all these data sets are in, I would like to display the polygons coded by these numbers, and be able to conduct spatial analyses of them. Because I have multiple dates, it's a many-to-one relationship. So far I've been reduced to hand-entering them. What am I missing? Isn't there a way to import a new field into a polygon?

Thank you for any light you can shed.

Carri

Carri
Carri Marschner
Cary Institute for Ecosystem Studies
Millbrook, NY
www.caryinstitute.org

ohiosurfer

ohiosurfer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

The experts will weigh-in shortly, but hopefully this provides some help.

I would Join (right-click the shapefile/FC > Joins and Relates > Join...) the tables to the polygon and use Field Calculator to populate a new field (in the Attribute table, Options > Add Field...) with the data from your tables.

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

You can also set up relationship classes within a personal geodatabase to have something that goes with your files rather than something stored with the map. I think it requires at least an ArcEditor license though.

http://resources.arc...?...how&d=21708

http://help.arcgis.c...00006000000.htm

I know that last one is for version 10, but I don't think it has changed too drastically from version 9.2 or 9.3.

Cheers,
David

jrat

jrat

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • United States

If I read your post right you want to symbolize the polygons with sum totals of your other data that fall in that area. If you have a common field in both data sets you can use join as mentioned earlier. Or you could use a spatial join and check the first radio button under option 2. this option will summarize the numeric attributes of the points that fall inside each polygon and show a count field of how may points fall inside it. You can then choose various options for how to summarize the data. That should give you the totals of how many of x are in poygon y.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->