7 replies to this topic

oldtoby

oldtoby

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • United States

Anyone know if this is possible and if so how to do it?

I've been hunting all day on the internet tubes and ESRIs web site with no luck.

kay

kay

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Canada

Have you tried to convert the grid to graphics?
You can do it by just one click in the Data Frame property.
(View > Data Frame Properties, then select the "Grids" tab. Under the Grids tab, you will have a button called "Convert To Graphics".

I hope this helps...
Kay

oldtoby

oldtoby

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • United States

Have you tried to convert the grid to graphics?
You can do it by just one click in the Data Frame property.
(View > Data Frame Properties, then select the "Grids" tab. Under the Grids tab, you will have a button called "Convert To Graphics".

I hope this helps...
Kay

I knew about that function, but I was thinking that was too easy, and its never that easy. ;)

If I convert to graphics will I then be able to select the grid elements and export them to .ai as its own file? I've never done that, i've only ever exported shapefiles to .ai.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

I don't have Illustrator to try this out with, but if you convert the graticule to graphics I wonder if you could just select it and copy/paste into Illustrator.

Another way might be to turn off all of your map layers, export the map to ai or pdf and bring the result into Illustrator.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

oldtoby

oldtoby

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • United States

I don't have Illustrator to try this out with, but if you convert the graticule to graphics I wonder if you could just select it and copy/paste into Illustrator.

Another way might be to turn off all of your map layers, export the map to ai or pdf and bring the result into Illustrator.

Yeah, I had a chance to actually try it monday. After converting the grid to graphics running a standard export to .ai worked just fine. The grid elements were converted as a separate layer in the .ai file in the same way it does to shapefiles.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Yeah, I had a chance to actually try it monday. After converting the grid to graphics running a standard export to .ai worked just fine. The grid elements were converted as a separate layer in the .ai file in the same way it does to shapefiles.

Even if you dont convert to graphic, the grid elements export fine when you export your layout to AI/PDF. Always double check them against the original in your MXD however, with some projection they can shift during export leading to some errors.

oldtoby

oldtoby

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • United States

Oh thats cool, good to know. Thanks for the tip. :)

DOT Cartographer

DOT Cartographer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • United States

We have great luck with this workflow:

After generating your grid in Arc:
From ArcMap layout window:
File > Export as pdf (300 dpi ok)--be certain to include neatline or other reference
From Illy:
File > open the pdf, Select All, copy
In project file, paste onto appropriate layer and release clipping mask
Line up neatlines/reference lines.
Now just delete the neatline/reference line from the grid layer, adjust your linestyle and you're all set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->