1 reply to this topic

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

If you are creating small scale maps, you invariably have a lot of content to QAQC, such as labels, symbols, and of course content.
If your workflow for small scale maps includes <GIS to your favorite drawing program>, I recommend creating an editing cover grid to aid in your QAQC.
An editing vector grid is a simple vector grid layer to overlay on your map and can easily be created in GIS. Add this layer before you export the GIS map to your drawing program for finishing.

I have created one that I use, composed of 40 sq mile blocks, with urban areas composed of 20 sq mile blocks. See the example screen shot below...

Enjoy

Attached Files

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Canada

To save others the trouble of looking up QAQC on acronymfinder.com, this refers to "Quality Assurance / Quality Control".
This looks like one for the future "Tips and Tricks" section. Of course, such a grid can easily be created in Graphics programs as well, and with MAPublisher. :)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

If you are creating small scale maps, you invariably have a lot of content to QAQC, such as labels, symbols, and of course content.
If your workflow for small scale maps includes <GIS to your favorite drawing program>, I recommend creating an editing cover grid to aid in your QAQC.
An editing vector grid is a simple vector grid layer to overlay on your map and can easily be created in GIS. Add this layer before your export your GIS map to your drawing program for finishing.

I have created one that I use, composed of 40 sq mile blocks, with urban areas composed of 20 sq mile blocks. See the example screen shot below...

Enjoy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->