5 replies to this topic

snowgage

snowgage

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • United States

Howdy.. I was cruising Kelsocartography's excellent blog today ( http://kelsocartography.com/blog/ ) and was linked up to a very nifty NGS interactive map.

http://ngm.nationalg...rid-interactive

When I look at the media and source info for this it looks like a bunch of GIFs and JPGs turned on and off via the map buttons. What programing method or workflow to people suppose was used to create this?

I've been spending the last few weeks becoming familiar with AS3, using it to create interactive Flash based maps. After using Mappublisher's export to flash option, I was craving more and learning flash has given the control I was looking for. It also dovetails very nicely with my current workflow which usually concludes in Illy.

How do people feel about using/learning Flash and AS3 to create interactive map content? Is it one of the better languages/skills for this application? Is it a waste of time and becoming obsolete as HTML5 enters the arena? I am going to continue learning AS3 for projects I am currently working on but do not want to invest too much time on something that's not going to be very marketable/useful in the long run....

Sorry, kind of a rant but I hope I got my questions across..

cheers,

Josh

christine.skl

christine.skl

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Travel, Books, Music
  • China

Interesting questions you ask, and very important ones.

hmm...HTML 5 and Flash. Sort of a war is emerging on that right now. Especially with growing presence of mobile devices and Apple's "hate" towards flash.

I would ask myself - will the users acess my map on PC or a mobile device? If it will be PC/Laptop, than I don't need to worry about using flash. But! If I presume that my target audience will be mobile device users I would very carefully consider my choices and try to build either customized versions or HTML 5 verions (or even an application). It' s worth to note, that iPhone is extremely consumer oriented - those who have iPhone need to have a credit card to use apple store, so the impulsive online buys wuill happen easily (enough to put a good advertising slogan or a low price). So, the non-flash version might be way more marketable. and...tablets and iPads - let's see, multi touch sensors, possibility of using finger or pen to perform actions - it looks like we have there a way wider range of possibilities than flash has (just remind yourself science-fiction movies with all different visions of high-tech screens displaying a map ). I think it really depends on the targeted users, which technology to choose. Flash is hard to index for web-search engines. But how much importance this fact has to you?

Also, I am now in China...and with the way Internet is managed here (censored, blocked etc) flash is my headache. A website with flash elements typically loads ultra slowly (I started out on a dial-up connection, and slow means around 1,5mins to load a webpage), fails often . This is a local problem (I didn't include it my genral thoughts above), but I do appreciate websites not using flash.

A lot speaks against flash, but it is in use and iphone/ipad is not a sole mobile device on the market. I would really consider who and how will use my maps first, than decide how much time to invest in learning.

Thanks for some food for thought:)
Christine

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Howdy.. I was cruising Kelsocartography's excellent blog today ( http://kelsocartography.com/blog/ ) and was linked up to a very nifty NGS interactive map.

When I look at the media and source info for this it looks like a bunch of GIFs and JPGs turned on and off via the map buttons. What programing method or workflow to people suppose was used to create this?

I've been spending the last few weeks becoming familiar with AS3, using it to create interactive Flash based maps. After using Mappublisher's export to flash option, I was craving more and learning flash has given the control I was looking for. It also dovetails very nicely with my current workflow which usually concludes in Illy.

How do people feel about using/learning Flash and AS3 to create interactive map content? Is it one of the better languages/skills for this application? Is it a waste of time and becoming obsolete as HTML5 enters the arena? I am going to continue learning AS3 for projects I am currently working on but do not want to invest too much time on something that's not going to be very marketable/useful in the long run....

cheers,

Josh

I believe it was built for the web using javascript and for the ipad using a different technology.

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

but do not want to invest too much time on something that's not going to be very marketable/useful in the long run....

I don't think you should stop learning Flash or Actionscript. A number of big industries are throwing their weight behind flash because they don't want to have to convert their entire library to Apple's format. Google's recent open spec video format also muddles thing. Flash 10.1 was recently released and runs on the Android platform, and will probably be carried over to Blackberry. Flash will not be going away anytime soon. As with a lot of software that has been around for a long time, a huge base has built up around it (tutorials, examples, external libraries) that will take time for HTML 5 to catch up. Plus HTML 5 is based on browser implementation, so hopefully each browser will follow the specifications. At least, with flash it 'should' work the same with each browser.

In the end, if you look at HTML5, javascript, css3 work together, a lot of it is very similar to AS3. So changing over will not be too difficult. Javascript, syntax at least, is pretty similar to AS3.

I would ask myself - will the users acess my map on PC or a mobile device?

True enough, but I think increasingly the same user will be doing both. So you want to be able to create the same experience on all platforms.

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

Just saw this, and thought I would post it here. It is a pretty good resource on getting started with HTML 5.

Cheers,
David

MappaeMundi

MappaeMundi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Canada

cheers,

Josh

Hi there, I think Martin is right and it was done in JavaScript. But there's no reason you couldn't produce exactly the same map in Flash. I, like you, have been learning AS3 for this sort of thing, and I don't believe it's a waste of time, whatever else might be in use for interactive maps lately. As others here have noted, it's likely to remain in use (perhaps Apple notwithstanding), and the skills are transferable at any rate.
Cheers,
Paulo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->