Maponics Spatial Database Specialist
Spatial Database Specialist is responsible for the creation and management of spatial databases in support of Maponics product lines. You should be capable of writing, editing and running scripts and SQL that extract, transform and load spatial data; you will also produce documentation and technically support all aspects of spatial data compilation and product creation activities. This position reports directly to the VP of Operations.
You will need a minimum of 2 years commercial mapping experience utilizing commercial GIS and mapping (ESRI, MapInfo, FME) tools is required. Proficiency in SQL, solid experience in PostgreSQL, MySQL or SQL Server is a must as well as a proven track record with manipulating and integrating large spatial and non spatial databases.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Data Asset Development
- Writes, modifies and executes scripts to extract, transform and load spatial data
- Executes SQL queries to produce intermediate and final datasets
- Assists in writing and optimizing SQL queries for analysis and production
- Tracks production progress and updates stakeholders
- Visually and programmatically inspects data for errors, omissions and anomalies always ensuring data conforms to Maponics' business rules
- Generates reports and visualizations of identified problems and corrects both data and procedures that created it
- Follows existing written procedures precisely and documents new procedures when appropriate
- Maintains and publishes data catalog and documentation for internal use
- Creates and maintains metadata for internal use
- Archives datasets and removes unneeded intermediate tables and views from databases
- Assists with database maintenance including backups/restores, data migration, export/import of data, etc.
- Writes and executes tools to build and export standard and custom data products
- Visually and programmatically inspects final output before shipping
- Order fulfillment of GIS data products
- Generation of standard and custom sample data
- Produces product releases including the products themselves, samples, statistics and other sales tools
- Writes and maintains production and process documentation for internal users
- Provides direct technical support to Maponics sales and marketing staff
- Provides direct technical support for Maponics customers via phone and email