2 replies to this topic

Synergy Media

Synergy Media

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Greetings!

I am working on a project that involves shopping mall maps. I have started with a DWG AutoCAD file and worked it in Illustrator to get a simplified mall map but I am unsure of how to advance the look. The maps are to be used in conjunction with a routing engine to show shoppers to to get from Point A to B. Since the application is all visual and highly interactive, the map design is critical but no matter how I work it, I can't seem to ever get comfortable with the look and feel. I was hope to get some critiques on what I have built thus far.

This map has been simplified to eliminate the subdivisions of the retail stores as the router handles the names, logos, artwork but that can be added back. I am mainly concerned with the colour scheme and background and how I can enhance the look (eg possibly adding the parking lot in with it).

Thanks!

Attached Files

• Attached File  map.jpg   287.59KB   143 downloads

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

This is a perfect instance where 20 minutes of simply redrawing the rectangles in Illustrator (using the AutoCAD drawing as a background guide) will yield tremendous improvement. The AutoCAD file includes every jot and tittle of the construction details, but you want a simple block diagram. Malls are generally very simple layouts (I used to do a lot of these for one of the national owners), and the fastest way to do this is with your eye and brain. Here's six minutes worth of work:

Posted Image
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

cartohead

cartohead

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Canada

That was excellent advice. Users only need the generalized shapes. The details only acts as visual noise.

Also take a look at the grey values of the two main colours. Right now, the read as esseential the same "grey". A definitive difference would clarify the map's intent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->