3 replies to this topic

Envirographics

Envirographics

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi,
Is anyone aware of legislation that points out in a way employers can understand, the correct way to setup a graphics work area, with daylight adjusted lighting so that one can trust the colours and design to screen and to what sits on the desk, to evaluate printouts and view colour swatches. Its a no brainer for anyone working with such, but try explaining it to someone who hasnt a clue about why it aids workflow, and the fun and games of looking at swatches under tungsten light !

I have ISO standards but its too technical to run past those about to chop their way through what was a functional lighting environment setup as per the correct way. Back to the dark ages of waiting until daylight to check on ones colour choices !

Envirographics

razornole

razornole

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cartography, Down-river canoeing, Backpacking, Cross country biking, Geomorphology, Ornithology, Ecology, Quaternary, and last but first; drinking beer on the beach.
  • United States

Though I am not a citizen of your country, if you ran on that platform I would vote for you. It is hard enough to explain the difference between projected and reflected light.

kru
"Ah, to see the world with the eyes of the gods is geography--to know cities and tribes, mountains and rivers, earth and sea, this is our gift."
Strabo 22AD

christine.skl

christine.skl

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Travel, Books, Music
  • China

How about showing two printed pages: page one - without daylight colour checking, page two - with daylight colour checking? Maybe this approach would be easier, than going into technical details?
Christine

Envirographics

Envirographics

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi,
I suppose I could photograph something in daylight adjusted lighting and the same colours under tungsten, letting the camera auto adjust colour balance and show them the results.
Its also that they dont understand the colour critical nature, but if e.g. I wish to create a pastel yellow green background, such pastel green backgrounds I use a lot, and I am viewing proofs under reflected tungsten light, I will believe I have achieved such until when viewed under daylight when it will appear more blue green, the eyes will adjust to some degree but not enough.
To show people though who are not tuned into colour two subtle different shades and expect them to understand the differences, firstly under daylight then take it across to an area under reflected tungsten, this really needs a direct side by side comparison. Perhaps a tungsten angle poise lamp.
Food for thought, but they operate by rules laid down here which they cannot circumvent.
Envirographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->