• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

So what do you think about these?
Attached File  diamonds.jpg   40.09KB   618 downloads
Africa development diamonds, page 2 (there's actually two pages, I just chose to upload the 2nd, since the first didn't contain the legend)

I am a little bit torn. I think it could have been presented more effectively by using color, which might have not been an option for this publication (it is from a World Bank publication on Africa statistics).

I think they should have asked themselves if they really needed to present a comparison using four parameters. Imagine if you did this with a 2d scatter chart instead: parameter 1 = axis x, parameter 2 = axis y, parameter 3 = size of dot, parameter 4 = color/shading.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Germany

So what do you think about these?

I think: You did the best you could. But if you can do them any other way, where the data is seperated like you suggested, do it.
It looks smart and clean, but I needed 5 minutes to figure it out. And it´s not very easy to compare.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

just a note, I didn't do them - I just found them in a report, and found them interesting and fascinating, although I am not sure they are the best way to communicate the information.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Germany

I see. I thought you were ordered to do them that way.
I really think they look tidy but are essentially useless in regards to information.

margaret

margaret

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • United States

Interesting! But you know I've never understood the attraction of multivariate point symbols, be they diamonds or faces or bull's eyes or whatever. Multivariate points give you no overall visual pattern of information across a map, the way multivariate area symbolization does. Nor do they give you measure, because you can't actually get numbers from them, the way you could get number if they were, for example, little graphs. But maybe there is some redeeming value to them that another Cartotalker has discovered?

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Germany

But maybe there is some redeeming value to them that another Cartotalker has discovered?

It looks smart, and alludes to the triangle-like graphics. It´s an exec thing, I guess.

I totally concur, there are to many things to compare at once. Building up a graphic variable meta-pattern, where you can focus on colour at first, then at something like form and so on would be much more useful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->