Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I'm working on a street map in an area where 2009 orthophotos were flown, and I wonder if people have helpful advice about the best way to end up with FreeHand/Illustrator linework backed by color aerials.

Method 1: move the GIS linework over to the Illustrator side. Separately, download the DOQQs, process them into modestly sized JPEGs, and put those up behind the Illustrator linework, registering them by eye. Because it's a relatively small area (50 km x 50 km) in state plane, I'm not too worried about the orthos matching up with the map projection.

Method 2: import the orthos (in ECW format) on the ArcGIS side, and export them as a huge raster file with the same neatline as the map linework. On the Mac side, use Photoshop to chop that enormous image up into tiles that Illustrator won't choke on, and then register them in Illustrator by eye.

Method 2.5: there's a county-wide mosaic of these orthophotos—but it's 3 gigabytes in size. I don't know what I have that will chop that up, but since I'm only using about 20 percent of the county, I suppose I could bring that into the GIS and then follow Method 2 above. Would there be any advantage to doing that rather than importing 20 different DOQQs?
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Just a quick reminder that if you have MAPublisher you can import the raster imagery with georeference. Saves you the effort of registering by eye.

Regardless of that, if you import a big mosaicked image rather than individual tiles it'll save you a lot of tedious repetitive work. I'd go for that, assuming the hardware can churn through it all.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

Dennis,

Don't know if you have Manifold on board. But I would use the big mosaic you reffer to and do it like:

1)Import the raster file into manifold,
2)Create new grid drawing with grid tiles where all cells extent to you area of interest,
http://www.manifold....c/view_grid.htm
3) Tile this raster with tiler tool contributed by cartomatic
http://forum.manifol.../forum/t99935.6
4) This way each till raster with extent of cell you defined in drawing will be exported as separated bitmap,
5) Export the grid drawing to your Illustrator project - match it with it,
6) Place each cell raster into your Illustrator project - if you take rational size of each cell raster in grid drawing Illustrator should handle this without problem.

Hope it helps,
Gregory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->