burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

Does anyone know where I can download data for Kananskis Country in Alberta? I am particularly interested in Trail data and the park boundaries. I have the downloaded the 1:50,000 data but it only has some trails. I am looking for a more complete set.

Thanks in advance

Bruce

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Canada

Bruce, I'm sure you're aware of how "perishable" trails are, especially in the wilds, and how out-of-date the 50K data is. Any time I've compared 50K trails with what I see from more recent sources, it's been obvious that the 50K data shouldn't be used at all. Same goes with park boundaries, which are almost as short-lived as trails!

So....where to look? Sorry, no simple answer. When I do this kind of work, I just do lots of research -- trail sites, blogs, park sites, Google/Bing air photos, local jurisdiction map engines (often a good source), etc. etc. Compile it all together and then draw! You'll have the best Kananskis map out there. B)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Does anyone know where I can download data for Kananskis Country in Alberta? I am particularly interested in Trail data and the park boundaries. I have the downloaded the 1:50,000 data but it only has some trails. I am looking for a more complete set.

Thanks in advance

Bruce

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Spain

Geogratis is the first place I'd look -- they've got some very good data at a variety of scales.
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->