Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Germany

Hi there!
A very simple question:

How do I tell Illy (CS2/CS4) to export curves as curves? I have FME (Arc GIS Interoperability version), and it can handle further migration to ArcGIS and/or PostGIS or Oracle (which can handle curves) just fine. But the export from pdf/ai to dxf yields non-rich, no-curve paths, so FME can´t do anything but hand over point-based, non-rich geometries.

Is there another way of getting pdf/ai files exported (with curves as curves) than via Illy? MapPublisher, most likely?

Thanks for your time!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi there!
A very simple question:

How do I tell Illy (CS2/CS4) to export curves as curves? I have FME (Arc GIS Interoperability version), and it can handle further migration to ArcGIS and/or PostGIS or Oracle (which can handle curves) just fine. But the export from pdf/ai to dxf yields non-rich, no-curve paths, so FME can´t do anything but hand over point-based, non-rich geometries.

Is there another way of getting pdf/ai files exported (with curves as curves) than via Illy? MapPublisher, most likely?

Thanks for your time!

None of the export formats supported by Illy/MAPublisher support curves. However, you could try using the ArcEstimator in FME to generate a curve out of segments.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Germany

None of the export formats supported by Illy/MAPublisher support curves. However, you could try using the ArcEstimator in FME to generate a curve out of segments.

Thanks a lot for confirming my suspicion. I was a bit suspicious of the ArcEstimator for two reasons:

1) re-matching is not encouraged by the documentation IIRC
2) I´m unsure whether the ArcEstimator does indeed try to fit a curve or an arc i. e. a segment from a circle.

Replaces the geometry of the feature with a two dimensional circular arc whose shape is estimated from the first, middle, and last point of the linear feature passed in. The result is an approximation only and unless the linear feature is previously known to be circular, the result could be completely different than the original feature.

This is most useful when it the feature was known to have been a circular arc originally and was stroked into a line. This transformer can then be used to turn it back into an arc.

I´ll try that out anyway.

Any other idea of getting pdf/ai. bezier curves into FME?

PhiNgo

PhiNgo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

I don't know what FME is used for but to get illy bezier curves into ArcMap, I simplify/straighten the lines. But first I add anchor points (vertices) to the curves. It normally works for me, hope that helps.

Kartograph

Kartograph

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Germany

I don't know what FME is used for but to get illy bezier curves into ArcMap, I simplify/straighten the lines. But first I add anchor points (vertices) to the curves. It normally works for me, hope that helps.

If I understand correctly, you´d then still have the curves dissolved into hundreds of vertices, no?
FME is a spatial ETL tool and it´s pretty awesome. Hans might cheerfully fill you in on the details.

-> http://www.safe.com/

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,833 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

FME is a spatial ETL tool and it´s pretty awesome. Hans might cheerfully fill you in on the details.

-> http://www.safe.com/

Cheerfully? More like laughing maniacally ;)

But yeah, FME is a big GIS toolbox. It's kinda like Arc's Modelbuilder on steroids.

And yeah, stroking arcs would get you lots of little straight segments. But that could be fixed by the ArcEstimator and/or Curvefitter in FME.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->