• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:geology, GIS, cartography, famlily, reading, cooking, travelling, gardening
  • Switzerland

Hi everyone!

I stumbled upon this site through a link on a different forum and immediately registered. What a great site!!

My background is actually in geology, through a field mapping campaign I got into touch with GIS. But ever since I was a small child I loved looking at maps, spent hours travelling in my mind with an atlas on my knees, exploring unknown far-away countries. And so I consider myself very lucky to have spent a year working with the cartography team of the Swiss army, where I picked up a huge lot of ideas and concepts.

My work now has gone back to geology, but I'm the GIS technician in our company, and in a certain way also the chief mapmaker here. So I'm hoping I can keep on learning lots by browsing through CartoTalk. ... and having fun, with topics like the "Guess that location" thread in the off-topic section.

Cheers,
Kathi
Cheers,

Kathi

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

But ever since I was a small child I loved looking at maps, spent hours travelling in my mind with an atlas on my knees, exploring unknown far-away countries.

I think all of us here have been doing that ;)

Welcome to Cartotalk!
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

But ever since I was a small child I loved looking at maps, spent hours travelling in my mind with an atlas on my knees, exploring unknown far-away countries.

I think all of us here have been doing that ;)

And looked for the map inserts in National Geographic (even bought old Nat. Geo. maps at garage sales), and maps stuck up on bedroom walls... :)

Welcome!
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

Welcome to the group. Nice to see a geology related professional..

Thanks
GISGURU

Hi everyone!

I stumbled upon this site through a link on a different forum and immediately registered. What a great site!!

My background is actually in geology, through a field mapping campaign I got into touch with GIS. But ever since I was a small child I loved looking at maps, spent hours travelling in my mind with an atlas on my knees, exploring unknown far-away countries. And so I consider myself very lucky to have spent a year working with the cartography team of the Swiss army, where I picked up a huge lot of ideas and concepts.

My work now has gone back to geology, but I'm the GIS technician in our company, and in a certain way also the chief mapmaker here. So I'm hoping I can keep on learning lots by browsing through CartoTalk. ... and having fun, with topics like the "Guess that location" thread in the off-topic section.

Cheers,
Kathi

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Interests:geology, GIS, cartography, famlily, reading, cooking, travelling, gardening
  • Switzerland

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome here! I really like this section of CartoTalk because one gets the feeling of getting to know the people behind the avatars, which is not the case for most other online discussion forums I know. Makes me feel like I'm part of a friendly family :)
Cheers,

Kathi

oldtoby

oldtoby

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • United States

neat, always good to see another GIS person who studied geology. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->