5 replies to this topic

Lori Martin

Lori Martin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Canada

I am sure you already know about this, but just in case - Did you find the handy little print area tool under the hand icon? It allows you to drag it out to specify your print area.

That will help with printing.

I pulled the above from another topic...

I am using Illustrator to finish maps that I started in ArcMap 8.3. While quite new at Illustrator (and quite enjoying it!) all is going well except for printing.

So far I have made 3 maps. Two I can print, but the third gives me about four feet of blank paper and a timeout error on our HP4000 plotter. On our HP1055 plotter I get nothing. I use the tool mentioned above to delineate the page - nothing. I have exported to .eps - nothing. I have saved as a pdf - nothing. Can you sense my frustration? :o The 1055 plotter gives you the option of spooling to your machine as opposed to the plotter - nothing. The 4000 doesn't give that option.

I am not sure if this is an Illustrator problem, a plotter problem or a network problem. My machine is a Dell with a XEON processor (2.8GHz) and 2 Gig of RAM. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have to contact our IT dept. today to try and eliminate a network/hardware problem if it exists.

Thanks,
Lori.
Lori Anne Martin,
St. Catharines, Ontario
Canada

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

While this doesn't work all the time occasionally it does.

Open a new blank document and set it up for the correct document size. Be sure in your layer options you have set Paste Remembers Layers
Open your troublesome document, be sure all layers and everything are unlocked, select everything, move back to the new document and paste it all into the new doc. Depending on the complexity of the art this could take a few minutes.
Setup printing and try printing the new document.

As I said, it doesn't always work when there are printing issues but for some reason it occasionally will with some problems.

Another troublesome item can be if you have anything set for transparency, this can cause most printers grief.
Rick Dey

EcoGraphic

EcoGraphic

Master Contributor

• Links Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:landscape architecture,cartography,information architecture,wayfinding,landscape archaeology,cultural landscapes,sustainable design,visual journalism,travel writing,photography,illustration,languages
  • Canada

You can always try rasterizing your transparency in Illustrator to solve the transparency problem if you have one. You could also break down and open the whole thing in Photoshop, crop off any extra hidden stuff around your artboard and save it out as a .jpg or TIFF, although your file size might be huge. This would at least get it into a simple file format. This is always what I have to send sign shops for printing if I don't want the grief of messed-up print job. My experience with PDF printing is that it can change the colours on you, so watch out for that.

Gillian
Gillian Auld
EcoGraphic Design
www.EcoGraphic.ca

Design is the intermediary between information and understanding
Richard Grefe

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Lori,

Just to clarify.

You created a PDF of the Illustrator file and tried to send that to both your plotters and both refused to print it?? Did you send it to print from Acrobat?

If not, try that and see if that does it.

Lori Martin

Lori Martin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Canada

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I do have transparencies and maybe that is the problem. I will try to rasterize the transparencies and see if that helps.

Wish me luck!! :rolleyes:
Lori Anne Martin,
St. Catharines, Ontario
Canada

Lori Martin

Lori Martin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Canada

I finally figured out why I can't print. :D The transparency was the culprit. I now have to create the transparency, export it to a jpeg and bring it back in. The driver for the postscript plotter is a non-postscript driver so I will look into that also.

I have to say, I celebrated when the @#$! map printed!!! Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Lori.
Lori Anne Martin,
St. Catharines, Ontario
Canada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->