To give more light what I talked about in two topics:
http://www.cartotalk...?showtopic=5777
http://www.cartotalk...?showtopic=5778

I'm attaching one of the Paris' sheet already published by Bezdroza.com:
http://picasaweb.goo...pody2009/Paris#

Data:
OSM, points partly gathered by authors in the field by GPS receivers,

Software:
osmpgsql - Postgresql 8.13 - manifold - Illustrator CS3.

I'm more than open to any comments especially about the design.
I'm especially glad that books that were publisher that year: Paris, Barcelona, Prague, Budapest, Roma as far as I know are some of first books using
OSM data.
I found that project really interesting. True power especially lies in my opinion about the workflow and some cascading SQL workflow indside manifold.
I hope two upgrades (if they meet my needs) CS5 and especially Mapublisher will make this workflow even smooth.
Hope you like.

Regards,
Gregory

christine.skl

christine.skl

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Travel, Books, Music
  • China

Hello, Gerogory.

I worked before on a city-guide map (though way less rich in features). You surely have a high features and label concentration on yours.

- I like the color combination on the sample map provided, but I have some questions. Looking at map you gave I am not quite sure what does the blue dotted line means. I wonder what are the orange arrows at the streets for. Also I have trouble reading the pale blue labels (like in: K4 square, Notre Dame de Bonne Nouvelle) .

- Red symbols seem too bright to me (red is generally a trouble causing color for many vision impairments, not only for color blindness; also red:green contrast or red:white contrast, they give trouble people with different level and kind of visual impairment) I would consider less intense red color.

-The points labeled with slanted to the left M symbol (like Point Neuf) are very different from the whole map layout, they're also not witten in italic font - if this is done on purpose to present something mentioned in a guidebook it's ok, but they are in a very different style from the rest of them. Is there a real need for such a difference? I relied on guideboks a lot before, and for me the best are Lonely Planet travel guides maps - always easy to read, always the same style - whenever, wherever I pick-up Lonely Planet guidebook - I know I will have an easy map reading task (they print maps in greyscale, but they are a good reference).

Otherwise the map looks neat:)
Christine

gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

Hello Christine,

Thank you for you feedback.
Answering your questions:

Looking at map you gave I am not quite sure what does the blue dotted line means. I wonder what are the orange arrows at the streets for. Also I have trouble reading the pale blue labels (like in: K4 square, Notre Dame de Bonne Nouvelle).
The points labeled with slanted to the left M symbol (like Point Neuf) are very different from the whole map layout, they're also not witten in italic font

Orange arrows are road directions, and the blue lines are metro lines on which metro stations are marked with M symbol - the main idea behind this guide was to allow not only pedestrians tourist to use that book but also make it as much as pobille to use by motorized one, or those using public transport.
This guide is kind of special one. The "must seen" places are orginized alphabetically in text part and marked with coresponding number and special style on map (see cell J5 - 85 Palace de Justice) so just to give some qucik reference how is the best to get that place I thought that maybe special design for metro stations especially in so huge city like Paris could be usefull. But after you comment I also got impression that this symbol is "too heavy reading".

Red symbols seem too bright to me (red is generally a trouble causing color for many vision impairments, not only for color blindness; also red:green contrast or red:white contrast, they give trouble people with different level and kind of visual impairment) I would consider less intense red color.

Those are symbols used by publishing house in the rest of coulourfull books - somehow I was limited here with the coulour. Thank for you comments about the visuall feeling with that - I didn't know about things with reds you mentioned.

Thanks one more time.
Regards,
Gregory

christine.skl

christine.skl

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Travel, Books, Music
  • China

Hello Gregory,

Feel welcome!!!

About visual feel and colors, below is a link to the topic on another map which was supposed to serve people with visual impairment ans elderly people in general:

http://www.cartotalk...?showtopic=5614

In this topic Color Oracle was mentioned: http://colororacle.cartography.ch/
Which is a filter which shows you how people see the colors if they have some kind of visual impairment.

:)
Christine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->