gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

Hello there,

I’m concerning switching to CS4 from CS3.
I’m especially wonder about new art board tool.
Let me describe my situation:
The projects I’m starting to work with will be couple city guide maps splited into sheets.
The workflow I used before was like to export each sheet separatelly from Manifold to Illustrator and then style each sheet in Illustrator or copy each sheet to one big template and style them there together then recopy single sheet to original file.
Of course I could export extent of all the sheets as one file to Illustrator style it once and the make crop area for each sheet. Unfortunatelly going that way cause that while importing to Indesign by DTP guy it respects crop area done in Illustrator but nevertheless place all the rest of the file what makes of course file to size up. While there will be about 20 – 30 sheets for some books the size of such sheet index in Indising and speed of work with such file doesn’t make sense.
So.. here I’m come to art board:
As far as I unterstood how does this tool work like..
I could export from Manifold to Illustrator one big file, style it once, make art board tool for each sheet, then export each sheet to separate AI file totally independent and small in size from original mother file. Am I right ?
Does anyone has any experience with that or it’s fammiliar with that tool that can confirm my scenario ?

Best regards,
Gregory

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Why not switch to CS5?

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

Why not switch to CS5?

That's also one option .
Let's cosinder I'm with CS5 is the question easier to answer ?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Let's cosinder I'm with CS5 is the question easier to answer ?

I think the answer would be the same, but at the moment CS5 should be easier to get. You'll be spending money for the upgrade anyway, might as well upgrade to the latest version.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

Thank you both for answers.
It's not about upgrading me but the company I cooparate with. They and them cooperators are using CS3 but have bought one year ago CS4 upgrade. Due to them politic I would like to stay with the same level version to avoid problem with files versions etc. I'm just downloading trial CS5 and going to check if the original question can be done with arto board tool.

gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

I'm just downloading trial CS5 and going to check if the original question can be done with arto board tool.

Well it can't be - anwering my own question. Each exported art board inherit all the layers from the originall art board file and doesn't use the extent of art board as a crop layer while exporting.

You can use artboards as crop areas for printing or placement purposes—they work the same way as crop areas work in Illustrator CS3

http://help.adobe.co...bc5f-6328a.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->