Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Travel, Books, Music
  • China

Hello, dear Geo-friends!

Geodata media network?

After reading CartoTalk , writing my undergraduate thesis in GIS and now while preparing 2 websites with a lot of geo-related content I want to share some thoughts with you on the future of geographical data and sharing of it. A topic goes for the future, I thought that off-topic section would be suitable.

I look at my laptop contents - Google Earth, Nasa World Wind, ArcGIS Explorer and other Geo-tools. Each of them let's me access geo-tagged content and also subscribe to Geo-RSS feeds. The most interestng out of htese are Geo-RSS feeds, which are information channels with geotagged content. I can read them in a RSS reader or connect to them straight from ArcGIS Explorer. When I do this, I feel like I would be connecting to sort of a Geo-TV , each RSS feed being a channel of it's own. Even better, with not much effort I can set up my own Geo-RSS channel and let others subscribe to it. Thus, I can broadcast my data, in order to deliver it to others. It feels like some sort of media network. And a question arises if this is Geo-Media and if it becomes a predominant form of Geo-Data broadcasting, what does it mean for the geo-content future? Will it become multiple services, which will be accumulated in one of the big virtual globes? Will these vitual globes become sort of "Geo-TV's? Recently ArcGIS Explorer moved into an online phase, where from your browser you can connect to multiple geo-servers and services. And if these virtual globes will become "Geo-TV's" how the geo content can expand? Is all the data sharing becoming some kind of a Geodata media network?

What do you think?

Christine.

[As suggested below an edit was made to avoid naming confusion]
Christine

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

What do you think?

For starters you'll need to find a new name for it. Geomedia is an Intergraph GIS product :)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

christine.skl

christine.skl

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, Travel, Books, Music
  • China

What do you think?

For starters you'll need to find a new name for it. Geomedia is an Intergraph GIS product :)

Thank you, I didn't know, topic will be edited not to confuse other readers.
Christine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->