Crischan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Spatial Information Design
  • Germany

Hi,

I', looking for some historic boundaries of Germany, especially of the 17th and 18th century. General borders are sufficient, so does anyone know about some historic data for Europe, preferably in a geodate format?

Cheers,
Crischan
Crischan Wygoda
http://wygoda.net

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

There was an old thread on this subject.

The data I'm referring to in my first post is no longer on my server, but I've attached it here.
Attached File  Historic.zip   3.82MB   74 downloads

And I still don't know who made it or how I got it.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

The data I'm referring to in my first post is no longer on my server, but I've attached it here.

I would be careful of those shapefiles because the naming accuracy is deadly inaccurate in some cases, for example Nova Scotia has & never was part of Quebec in 1785, & Canada did not include the east coast in 1815. Upper Canada was Ontario in 1815 & Lower Canada was Quebec in 1815. Those area's in both shapefiles are more appropriately labeled as British North America.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I would be careful of those shapefiles because the naming accuracy is deadly inaccurate in some cases, for example Nova Scotia has & never was part of Quebec in 1785, & Canada did not include the east coast in 1815. Upper Canada was Ontario in 1815 & Lower Canada was Quebec in 1815. Those area's in both shapefiles are more appropriately labeled as British North America.

Maybe we should clean them up in order to get them included in Natural Earth Vector?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Maybe we should clean them up in order to get them included in Natural Earth Vector?

Sounds like an idea. But I'll have to do some research as well as it pertains to the rest of those shapefiles.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Crischan

Crischan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Spatial Information Design
  • Germany

Thanks all for the input and sorry for missing the search - my brain was already at sleep mode after a too long day starting way toooooo early. well, thanks all again!
Crischan Wygoda
http://wygoda.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->