5 replies to this topic

jcriver

jcriver

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Peru
Hi friends,
I have found a turtle conservation map at this web site http://www.hawksbill.../Maps/index.php

The flash map is fine but the dynamic map in PDF format is great for offline rendering, visualization and printings. It uses some of the layers tools in Acrobat Reader and it is very user friendly. Considering the wide distribution of acrobat reader it is a tool to keep in mind as a complementary map dissemination tool.

I was wondering if some of you were aware of this "feature" and if you can point me in the right direction to obtain more information about the production of these poor-man dynamic maps.

Regards
JC

PS Maybe you have to download the PDF in order to see the map (7.5 MB downloads ummm...).

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

When saving a file as PDF from within Illustrator CS (or CS2) there is an option to Create Acrobat Layers from Top Level layers. Checking that option will give you layers in your PDF. Be sure to not preserve editing capabilities to keep your file size reasonable (sometimes as much as one-tenth smaller). Likewise try not to use transparency on any features, that will also cause massive file bloat.
Rick Dey

Sylvie

Sylvie

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Mexico

When saving a file as PDF from within Illustrator... Be sure to not preserve editing capabilities to keep your file size reasonable (sometimes as much as one-tenth smaller). 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a great little nugget of information.

I didn't realize what a big difference in file size that makes.

Thank you!
Sylvie Amezcua White
TerraPen GeoGraphics

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Sylvie,
If preserving layers is not a consideration, I find the most efficient process, and the one to reduce little graphic and type gotchas is to save the file out of Illustrrator as an EPS and then run it through Distiller. In almost all cases this will result in the most compact file and the most compatible. An advantage to running it through Acrobat then is that you can implement some levels of security in the file thereby discouraging others from randomly making use of your work.
Rick Dey

Sylvie

Sylvie

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Mexico

Rick,

Another great tip. Thanks again!
Sylvie Amezcua White
TerraPen GeoGraphics

jcriver

jcriver

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Peru
Thanks Rick!
I'll have to save some money for I'CS but it seems it worth the investment.
Regards
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->