• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I just found out about this in CS5, but apparently it was also possible in CS4...

In the Appearance panel you can add a stroke to text objects and then drag it underneath the characters. This avoids the issue that half of the stroke is positioned inside the letter forms. I've done this for the selected text object:

Attached File  Screen_shot_2010_05_28_at_10.31.34.png   247.73KB   113 downloads

Did you know about this? I feel rather silly for only finding out now when apparently it's been possible for years. I always copied the text, pasted it behind the original and gave that rear copy an outline. The downside of this was that you'd end up with double the number of text objects and editing a text afterwards was tricky.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Yup - that has been there for quite a while I think... You can also do this on the group level, or for easier management you can set up a style with this.

The appearance panel is really powerful + useful!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

Wow. I've been doing this in FreeHand for 15 years. :rolleyes:

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

l.jegou

l.jegou

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Webmapping, thematical mapping.
  • France

That's very useful to detach texts from the background. But beware, as Frax said there is several stackable aspects : object, group, group of group, etc. So it could quickly become complicated :)

Lori Martin

Lori Martin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Canada

Sadly :( this can't be done in CS3. I will keep it in mind when I upgrade. Thanks for sharing Hans!
Lori Anne Martin,
St. Catharines, Ontario
Canada

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Sadly :( this can't be done in CS3. I will keep it in mind when I upgrade. Thanks for sharing Hans!

Are you sure? I'm fairly confident I do this all the time in CS3. In the appearance palette drop-down menu select Add New Stroke and then drag the stroke beneath the fill. Am I missing something?

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Are you sure? I'm fairly confident I do this all the time in CS3. In the appearance palette drop-down menu select Add New Stroke and then drag the stroke beneath the fill. Am I missing something?

Yes you can do this in CS3. I never thought of doing it this way before. Something I'll have to implement into my workflow.

KimWright

KimWright

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Australia

What I find really neat is that you can modify the opacity of the stroke while not affecting the opacity of the type. This allows the halo to be partially transparent. However I find that when dragging this appearance onto new type objects the appearance doesn't always look the same.
Kim Wright
MAPgraphics, Brisbane, Australia
www.mapgraphics.com.au

mlbostwick

mlbostwick

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Canada

I still have CS3. In that version, you can only apply a new stroke using the Appearance Palette when you have the text selected with the Selection Tool. When you have the characters selected with the Text Tool, you can't apply a New Stroke (it's grayed out in the flyout). Occasionally, I'll want to apply two different colours to my text halo, if the word is long and runs across different background polygons. I'm pretty sure you can't do this, because you'd need to select individual characters, not the whole object - unless I'm missing something, of course, which I very well could be!

In newer versions of Illustrator, CS4 or CS5, are you able to use the Appearance Palette to add a new stroke when characters are selected with the Text Tool?

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:geology, GIS, cartography, famlily, reading, cooking, travelling, gardening
  • Switzerland

What I find really neat is that you can modify the opacity of the stroke while not affecting the opacity of the type. This allows the halo to be partially transparent. However I find that when dragging this appearance onto new type objects the appearance doesn't always look the same.

Can you do this with non-text objects, too? I sometimes want to do just the reverse, i.e. have a transparent polygon but let its border stand out. So far I've duplicated the object, but that makes editing tricky. I've only learned about this appearance thing just now. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Cheers,
Kathi
Cheers,

Kathi

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

@mlbostwick - you have to select the whole text box to apply these appearance tricks. To do it on individual letters, you would have to split up the text, so it is not so easy to work with.

@kathi - yes you can. You can set the opacity on just the fill using the appearance palette, without disturbing the stroke.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Kathi

Kathi

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:geology, GIS, cartography, famlily, reading, cooking, travelling, gardening
  • Switzerland

That's really cool! Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Kathi
Cheers,

Kathi

Lori Martin

Lori Martin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Canada

Thank you! I wasn't doing "Add New Stroke". This is fabulous!!!!!! :)
Lori Anne Martin,
St. Catharines, Ontario
Canada

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

I do this in CS 2 all the time.

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Thanks Hans!

Nice trick! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->