Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

The legend is handsome enough, but it feels a little empty and underdesigned. I might make the city name bigger and arrange the elements a little more tightly:

Posted Image
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

19° norte

19° norte

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Mexico

My humble thoughts on the first look at the legend:

The explanation at the right of the building classes seems a bit unstructured to me. Perhaps you should work with shorter, clearer sentences and/or line breaks that make understanding easier.

All the symbols are blue - except the hospital's. Is there perhaps an alternative possible?
Thinking about the end user (as Dennis already mentioned): Is it advisable to use the 'local' symbols for Brandweer, Politie, VVV, Bibliotheek, and NS station? I'd rename 'VVV' to 'Tourist Informatie' (of hoe heet dat in 't nederlands? Het is al een jaar of tien geleden dat ik het gesproken heb) and 'NS station' to ''Trein Station' (don't have a better suggestion at hand at the moment).

To the map: I like the design. Thumbs up. :D

Hope this helps.
Roland W. Hardt
19° | norte
http://www.19norte.com.mx

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,861 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

To the map: I like the design. Thumbs up. :D

Thanks for your comments :) Most of the point symbols were deliberately chosen to match a similar map for the same client, but at a different scale. Since this one will be primarily for internal use I think we can get away with the symbology and explanations like this (but I'll be in their office to discuss the map tomorrow, so we'll see what they think). If it were for a more general audience I agree that it might be better to simplify things more.

Oh, and nobody here would use "treinstation", but "station" would be acceptable.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->