• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Jan Helebrant

Jan Helebrant

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:GIS, open-source, graphics (both 2D and 3D), multimedia, taking photos
  • Czech Republic

Hi,
our institution has large dataset of old military maps of Czech Republic - tiled maps in tif format with TFW worldfiles - in different scales (1:100 000; 1:50 000; 1:25 000) and we also use Openstreetmap - currently in the form of shapefile exports provided by Geofabrik.de

As working with the tiles is not much comfortable - I cannot load all the tiles so I have to manually find out which tiles approximately fit my extent and for my colleagues I have to create merged map (no problem, gdal-merge does the job) as it would be complicated for them to load tens of tiles.

So I am thinking about possibility to create something like local WMS/WFS service which would work within our local network (from our server, because the raster maps are not public) or from local computer. Something which would offer me to load the tiles (into MapInfo, ArcGis, QGIS etc.) in different scales (could be separate layers) and would load only tiles for needed extent. It would also be nice if it could support Openstreetmap - from local osm file, not from the internet.

I think that there must be such app but do not have any experience in this area so I am asking here. Any advice?

thanks

PS: I prefer open-source solution :rolleyes:

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I haven't actually gotten this to work myself due to lack of time to play with it, but I got the impression OpenLayers was quite powerful in this regard and certainly worth a look.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

l.jegou

l.jegou

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Webmapping, thematical mapping.
  • France

Hello, i know that's possible using GeoServer to diffuse WMS/WFS (even WFS-T with a compatible db like PostGIS). Several administrations are using such a setup here in France, like some Agences d'Urbanisme (urban planning agencies). The server is often a linux box, and the client a mix of proprietary GIS softwares and FOSS (like Quantum GIS). The data load is pretty huge, several To are served from tif and ecw orthophotos and satellite coverages.

Jan Helebrant

Jan Helebrant

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:GIS, open-source, graphics (both 2D and 3D), multimedia, taking photos
  • Czech Republic

thanks for tips,
I also looked on MapServer (in my case maybe MS4W (MapServer for Windows)) which (according to the image of its structure) seems to fit my needs although there is small complication with OSM data. But I will also look on the suggested ones. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->