• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Rocca

Rocca

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Mexico

Hello I am very new at this and let me know if anyone could help or advise me.

My job is to make a truck route map of the metropolitan area in Jalisco, Mexico.

The problems that arise in me are:

. The design of the city is very large, it covers several municipalities.
. Truck routes are too many, about 300 routes, since many of the same route several aspects (eg path 629, 629a, 629B, 629C, etc.).
. The map is to print and canvas size is very small 90 x 60cm
. The city is very poorly organized in terms of their experience.

My process:

. Based on a map of AUTOCAD to trace the streets of the city and all truck routes exported it to Illustrator and then put colors and numbers of trucks

My questions:

I wonder if there is a special program to provide for truck route map?
Any advice based on your experience?
A number for the font?
Any advice to represent the city?

Greetings everyone, I hope to get many answers

Attached Files

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

The design task is much like a bus map for a large city, where many routes converge on a small central area. I suggest
  • using a very simple basemap of single lines for all streets, in subtle colors
  • using four or five colors that have the same apparent weight or strength to help distinguish lines from each other.
  • putting the route numbers in circles or ovals of the same color (5 point numbers will be fine)
  • curving the route lines at intersections to aid the eye in following the route
These techniques can all be seen in the New York bus maps:

Posted Image

So the AutoCAD file you have is not very helpful. Perhaps you can manipulate it to create single centerlines for each street. You will then display these as 2 or 3-point white or light gray lines on a ground that is just slightly darker. The truck route lines will then be on top of this background, with various streets labeled.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Rocca

Rocca

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Mexico

many thanks Dennis, I will follow advice but really the city of Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico, is very poorly organized routes are quite exaggerated and there are streets that go up to 15 routes!

My plan is to concentrate all the routes into one line and put the numbers up, since I teach take some advanced part to see if I'm doing it correctly,

Greetings from land Tapatia!

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

Sometimes bus route maps have this problem as well -- though I've never heard of 15 on one street! The usual solutions are:

1. Make the coloured routes very thin along the congested route. Even so, they will likely "pile up" so that they go beyond the width of the street, so this may not work well in your situation.

2. Merge the lines into as few as possible along that portion of the route -- as you yourself suggested. All the greens will merge into one, all the reds into another, etc. Then label that part of the route carefully so that all the numbers appear. You'll likely have to use a very small text size in order to do this.

Given the size you have to work with, you have a challenging design problem here. Please post a draft when you have something ready to look at.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Rocca

Rocca

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Mexico

Months I have been looking for solutions and testing, I've done all that mentioned, really much of a problem with a city in which its growth was very disorganized, as soon as it is part of the command, thank you very much

excuse my English

Alf

Alf

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Mexico

Hey, look there is a program called Transco, and can generate this type of routes, but if you tell me is the idea that perhaps the solution together, if you have the second line of each route I'll help you to do this is very easy if you do it in ArcGIS. Greetings!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->