2 replies to this topic

Nicholas_C

Nicholas_C

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Hello all. I'm working on several maps for a environmental cleanup site. For one I've been asked to show sites where soil boring sample tests resulted in contaminant levels that exceed acceptable regulatory maximums.

I was given a spreadsheet of the sample data and have brought it into Arc and distilled it down to an .shp with just the sample sites in exceedance. I'd like to show about 6 different attribute field values in a callout box for each point, similar to the example below:

Attached File  Tables_Labels_example.jpg   70.7KB   63 downloads

All the requisite information is in the attribute table. Now I know I could just build a VB expression for the labels that would place each value on a new line, bold the appropriate portions, etc. etc. Then I could wallow around in the properties to get the boxes right. And finally possibly convert the labels to annotation to get the placements right. But it seems there might be an easier way.

Any tips, tricks, resources, or code I could borrow would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

Why write it yourself when you can just borrow someone else's code :D . That's how most of my tools begin at least. Came across this article a few years back, and haven't had an opportunity to use it. Seems ideal for you scenario.

http://www.esri.com/...cript_label.pdf

Cheers,
David

Nicholas_C

Nicholas_C

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Thanks very much David. That's a great resource and I will try to absorb it all for the future. Too bad I just spent the last hour building a VB expression though. But it seemed to work out fine so that's always good. I don't have nice lines separating all the fields as in the article, but then I don't have as many fields. If the client is fine with it then so am I. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->