DrJill

DrJill

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

thanks dave. to answer your questions/comments:

There's no indication of land shape or elevations anywhere except in the green areas so it looks disconnected from the rest of the map.

yeah, this has been a challenge.we've not found an example of a town centre map that attempts to show gradients, so without precedent or example of good practice we've experimented with different ideas such as contour lines. the gradated green areas seemed the best way of showing this but if we included them on streets as well it was very confusing (in a similar way to how you and michael are disliking the neighbourhood labels). but... it's a town with distinct hilly areas so we needed to show them somehow. we'll have another look at that problem and see if there's another solution. any ideas welcome.

a.

Thanks for the opportunity to provide feedback. I also found the text on neighborhoods visually cluttered and agree with the other's suggestions for alternative treatment. On the other hand, I quite like the elevation treatment you've applied to the green areas. It was immediately clear to me that there is some nice terrain in this urban landscape and layout of paths, such as within St. Nicolas Gardens, make sense when combined with the elevation. I like the distinction it makes IMHO.

The pink cultural features grabbed my attention right away. There are a few dark pink labels that overlap dark grey that I found a bit hard to read. As a pedestrian map, I like the playful symbology with your walking time/distance scale. Overall, I really liked it and look forward to seeing more.
Jill Saligoe-Simmel
Ortelius™ – map illustration software for Mac OS X
www.mapdiva.com

electric angel

electric angel

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • United Kingdom

thanks jill. that's helpful and encouraging.

electric angel

electric angel

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • United Kingdom

hi all, i thought you might like to see the final map(s).

thanks for your comments which were very useful and i'm sure you'll see how they've influenced this final version. we also had a visit from the head of research at ordnance survey who was very enthusiastic about the approach we'd taken and prompted decisions on the final colouring of the map (after some surveying of our own).

the cartographic map is here.
the more arty/pyschogeography side of the printed map is here.

we launch the printed map along with some postcards exploring sense of place that are part of the project on 7th july. work has begun today on the online interactive version.

electric angel

electric angel

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • United Kingdom

just thought i'd post the link to the postcards that accompany/promote the map. hopefully puts the map into context about encouraging exploration/understanding/re-engagement of space/place.

http://www.electrica...ards-and-place/

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

Very cool! :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer