• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I just put some of the ideas in this thread into a summary slide. If I've left anything out let me know! Thanks.

Maybe put "Illustrator/MAPublisher" rather than "Illustrator -> MAPublisher", since it's kind of a seamless combination.

Other than that, I prefer to think of this in terms of "Data" -> "Processing" -> "Visualisation". Under processing would be ArcMap, Global Mapper, FME and other GIS tools. Under visualisation would be ArcMap again, Illustrator with or without MAPublisher and so on.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ajay

ajay

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Switzerland

I just put some of the ideas in this thread into a summary slide. If I've left anything out let me know! Thanks.

why even bother to use multiple systems for a job of making excellent maps? Use axpand, the end-to-end GIS Cartography system. You can install axpand in-house or use it over the Internet as axpand on Demand Software as a Service that supports Windows, MacOS and Linux.

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Spain

For what it's worth, I start with Manifold (and sometimes Global Mapper) first to prep and clip the data, then I export the layers and import them into Illustrator/MAPublisher. I generally try to avoid Manifold's AI export -- not only are the coordinates lost, but there are some clipping problems and other issues.
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Late to the discussion. In the workflow diagram, you can leave ArcMap out, and use AI/MaPublisher to import and process data. I do this a lot with small, fast jobs or with quick layout questions (e.g. what scale do we get if we cover this county with this sheet size).

You should distinguish between processes where data is exported from Arc and processes where ungeoreferenced artwork is exported from Arc. Both can work, but the net workflow is quite different, even mutually exclusive.

In an AI-centric production process, I find exporting AI files out of Arc works best if you start dealing with file-size issues (big sheets with lots of labels), and using a full-MaPublisher approach works better if the files are comparatively small and label-light.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->