5 replies to this topic

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Canada

Hello all - Can some one direct me to a free, relatively, up to data source for street information for Point Roberts, Washington? Data can be in a common GIS format or even just viewable on screen (aside from Google or Bing). Thanks in advance!

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

Have you looked at the usual sources -- Tiger 2009 and Open Street Maps? They're far from what you would want to use without editing, but they're both free and half way decent.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Hello all - Can some one direct me to a free, relatively, up to data source for street information for Point Roberts, Washington? Data can be in a common GIS format or even just viewable on screen (aside from Google or Bing). Thanks in advance!

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Canada

[quote name='Charles Syrett' date='May 3 2010, 04:15 PM' post='31683']
Have you looked at the usual sources -- Tiger 2009 and Open Street Maps? They're far from what you would want to use without editing, but they're both free and half way decent.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

I've looked at the Tiger 2009 data and don't see any street data - am I looking in the wrong place for a file that is named differently than what I would think? This is what Tiger 2009 has for Whatcom County (in which Point Roberts is located) and Washington State.

I've never used OSM before so I'll need to check it out (do they have an user friendly export options for GIS). Any one want to comment on the accuracy of OSM in Canada and the US?

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

I've looked at the Tiger 2009 data and don't see any street data - am I looking in the wrong place for a file that is named differently than what I would think? This is what Tiger 2009 has for Whatcom County (in which Point Roberts is located) and Washington State.

I've never used OSM before so I'll need to check it out (do they have an user friendly export options for GIS). Any one want to comment on the accuracy of OSM in Canada and the US?

For Tiger 2009 select the all line work option. The file name should read tl_2009_53073_edges.shp. Open up the table & find codes in particular under the MFCC field with anything listed such as "S1100 for interstate & S1200 for primary roads." For further information check the technical documentation:
http://www.census.go...umentation.html

For OSM I recommend for you to download the newest version of QGis & start downloading OSM data as GIS data from the server. You are really going to need good GIS knowledge to extract the features you need. Once you open the table I think you will understand after you find out that certain features will have to be extracted according to the "tags" field. A couple of hints include using the SELECT & LIKE clauses for buildings & water features from the tags field. Also there are limitations with the download through QGis: one problem is that you can only download data for every 0.25° & the area has to have less then 5000 nodes.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

The usual full reply from James! I'll add that you certainly went to the right place (the county page) -- what I usually do is grab the "All Lines" download, and then use Manifold to sort out the jumble. I just checked the data -- Point Roberts is definitely there.

For OSM, I just get the right view on the browser, then click the Export tab, and download as an .osm file, which is just a kind of kml. I use Global Mapper to open that, sort the lines, areas, and points into separate shapefiles, and then toss over to Manifold for detailed sorting. For Point Roberts, the linework looks so similar to Tiger that it may actually be the same. The advantage of OSM is that you'll get some of Canada coming along for the ride -- though I'm guessing you won't really need that. You can also access OSM data as shapefiles through Cloudmade.

Relative to reliability of OSM: It varies considerably from one area to another. Toronto, for example, has a lot of building outlines. In BC, many tiny places (such as Grand Forks) have very good mapping, including trails, whereas larger cities (such as Cranbrook) have main streets only. Go figure. But I've found it to be a very useful starting point in many of our projects.

Another caveat re OSM, at least for street mapping: OSM spells out the generics (Street, Drive, etc), so you'll have to do a find/replace on that.

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Canada

What I usually do is grab the "All Lines" download, and then use Manifold to sort out the jumble. I just checked the data -- Point Roberts is definitely there.

That works for me Charles. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->