Photo

Accuglobe vs others for ESRI shapefile format?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

joema

joema

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Several years ago I previously made some maps using Accuglobe and ESRI shapefile data. It worked pretty well but the both 2004 and 2007 versions of the program were somewhat buggy.

What's the current best low-cost mapping program for the Windows platform which can use ESRI shapefile data? I just need the basics: layers, polygon and arrow drawing, annotation, etc.

This is for a non-profit entity so we can't afford an expensive program like ArcView.

Would appreciate any advice, recommendations or experience.

Donald Milne

Donald Milne

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Mapping (of course), traffic engineering, comics, history, roadtrip travel.
  • United States

Several years ago I previously made some maps using Accuglobe and ESRI shapefile data. It worked pretty well but the both 2004 and 2007 versions of the program were somewhat buggy.

What's the current best low-cost mapping program for the Windows platform which can use ESRI shapefile data? I just need the basics: layers, polygon and arrow drawing, annotation, etc.

This is for a non-profit entity so we can't afford an expensive program like ArcView.

I've used Manifold (http://www.manifold.net/) and it performs well with shapefiles. I've created good looking maps from the layers, edited polygons, and annotated satisfactorily. When I bought it a couple of years ago, Manifold cost 1/5 of ArcView. If you don't need all of ArcView's features, Manifold appears to be very useful.

- Don Milne

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Indiemapper.com is an online mapping solution, which can work with shapefiles.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Darren Cope

Darren Cope

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

My vote is for Quantum GIS. It's a very good open source (read: free!) GIS program that does all you want and much more.

http://www.qgis.org/

Cheers,

Darren

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

My vote is for Quantum GIS. It's a very good open source (read: free!) GIS program that does all you want and much more.

Darren

I agree entirely with this, QGIS is very good and getting even better all the time, but I think it might be overkill for what joema needs. Perhaps something like OpenJump might be simpler? This can style shapefiles and it exports reasonable SVGs that can be finished-off in Inkscape.

Just a thought.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

You might also consider MapWindow, which works exclusively with shapefiles. GvSIG is another opensource one that seemed to have pretty good layouts, similar to the old ArcView 3.2.

Cheers,
David

Maptitude

Maptitude

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • United States

The Maptitude Mapping Software has functionality comparable to ArcView and supports Shapefiles natively. The Maptitude Mapping Software costs US$495.

Disclaimer: I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->