2 replies to this topic

Craig Jr

Craig Jr

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • United States

I was wondering if anyone was using ArcGIS 9.3.1 with or without Business Analyst? If so, I was curious to see if anyone else was having issues with the locator. We are having issues geocoding addresses without zip codes. This was not an issue in 9.1. I believe the issue is the file that ArcGIS is using as the geocoder. If you use an intersection for instance Broadway & 45th Street, New York, NY it defaults to Queens with a 90% match code. This is a serious issue, especially when working in New York 95% of the time.

I also noted this issue with Streets & Trips 2009, when geocoding or searching for 521 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY the result is placed at Fifth Avenue, Brooklyn, MD. I believe both locators are using the Tele Atlas streets for reference but i'm not 100% on that. We have a ticket out to ESRI but would like to see if there is any feedback in the meantime.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

danielle

danielle

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

I don't have much experience with Business Analyst, but I have done a lot of geocoding in NYC. Some initial suggestions:

- Add "East" or "West" to your numbered Streets in Manhattan (5th Avenue is the dividing line)

- Use the NYC LION street file as your locator, see http://nyc.gov/html/...s/dwnlion.shtml

- Some Queens addresses are hyphenated numbers indicating their cross streets, these are not address ranges

Let me know how it goes!

Danielle

Craig Jr

Craig Jr

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • United States

Thanks Danielle,

We have tried adding the East/West, the problem is when the address doesn't have a zip code and where I work zip codes are rarely provided. We have also tried the Lion Geocoder which is a better option for NYC but you a.) either need to enter a boro code or B) need to know the zip code.

Hopefully ESRI will provide some feed back to this issue.

I attached a list or addresses that Do Not Geocode correctly in NY (5-boroughs) using the ArcView default Geocoder as well as the Geocoder that comes with Business Analyst.

Thanks

Craig

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->