New project for Underground Signs

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

obeacon

obeacon

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi everyone, I have considerable interest in this area but am new to posting here.

I got a new challenge that I'd like to share, one which I think would interest this group...

I work for Underground Signs where we make custom and replica subway signs for home and office decoration.

Someone asked me recently if I could figure out the hypothetical street number matched to the latitude of his current home in Winnipeg, Canada (as if the streets of New York extended in ever-increasing numbers northwards, to the level of his lattitude.)

Right off, there are a few things I know: there are exactly 20 Manhattan blocks to a mile; and the grid of the city streets is 29° off North.

I've taken a look at what this could mean... Winnipeg is a good distance North and West of NYC, with plenty enough North that it's "above" the pitch of the 29° angle.
I used Google Earth to draw the supplementary 229° line from NYC out that way, then measured up from there. Very roughly speaking, and using Houston Street as the origin, I got about 180 miles, which makes 3,600 blocks. That's crude at best--I may be off by a few thousand--and I'd like to get a more definite calculation.

Can anyone help? Kind of a fun challenge!

Best,
Trevor MacDermid

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->