Photo

Please help me in Avenza products (ASAP)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Hasan

Hasan

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Syrian Arab Republic

Hello,

Can you please help me to see if Avenza products would match my projects needs?

The following are the points I would like you to evaluate.

And if you can please tell me what softwares I will need (Adobe Photoshop?,Adobe Illustrator?,MAPublisher?,Geographic Imager?,Macromedia Freehand?....etc).
Then I will decide how many licenses I need to buy.

I'm looking forward to hear from you ASAP. I would really appreciate it.

The points:

1- Ability of working with spatial images as it comes from any satellite imaging companies.
2- Ability of working with images with images which has colors deeper than 11-12 bit.
3- Ability of working with Multi Band Images and converting them into one image.
4- Ability of converting images to ASCII and from ASCII.
5- Ability of making "Extract" from an image to take a part of the image to another file.
6- Ability of making MOSAIC for images.
7- Ability of merging linear object in a file to be a part of the image (Vector to).
8- Ability of making "Compression" and "Overview" to make the viewing process faster without effecting the image resolution.
9- Ability of "Image Enhancement".
10- Ability of making "Histogram Matching" between the colors of more than one image.
11- Ability of "Image registration".
12- Ability of making geographic correction of the image in more than a way.
13- Ability of "Projection Transformation" without the need to reconfigure the "Image Registration".
14- Ability of directing images by using different coordinates systems.
15- Ability of "Ortho Rectification" without the need to use the two images together.
16- Ability of "Image Arithmetic" (Like making calculations on the image).
17- Ability of making "Classification" for the image.
18- Supports establishing local projection and converting from and to it with respect to the images.
19- Moving from higher resolution to lower one on standard basis.
20- Ability of opening and saving images in the global extensions and in the default sizes that comes from the Satellite, with bands that its size could go up to more than 2 GB for more than 30000 pixel.
21- Ability of high resolution JPEG compression.
22- Ability of serving instant reports about the special operations about the classification, configurations, image registration, and "Warp File".
23- Ability of exporting coordinates to CAD.

24- Ability of showing VECTOR in 3D environment {x,y,z}.
25- Ability of extracting red band, green band, and blue band directly from the colored image.
26- Ability of converting the classification results the observed and non observed to a Vector directly.
27- Ability of opening files of the type "GRID" and showing the values of the rise.
28- Ability of making the operations: Classify RGB. RGB to HIS. IHS to RGB. Complex Logical.
29- Ability of : Adjust or enhance the contrast of an image, collect and display, perform linear - equalized and non-linear contrast adjustments, perform image threshold and inversion, and perform logarithmic - exponential - Gaussian adjustments.
30- Ability of editing the size of the Pixel and how it is showed (nearest \Bi linear \ cubic).
31- Providing the engineering orders to update the image: Through the geometrical correction and a moving and a wrest and a modification of the geometrical directions.
32- Providing functions or orders for local improvements through addition of different filters to uncover the edges and loops (importunities and the windings), recovering data, visual improvements. Providing the visual with filters of the type: Lee or Frost, the change from frequency to image spatial and vice verse.
33- Providing Spectral analyses.
34- Providing ability of producing profiles of the type Grid C47.
35- The system have to be completely compatible with the standards, tools, converts (convert to other types), and properties of the spatial imaging.
36- Provides the ability of enhancing the color of an image for each pixel alone and controlling the lighting of it like make it darker, brighter, ..etc.
37- Provides the ability of making Grid with coordinates and controlling the type of projection and draw the Grid depending on it.
38- Ability of opening more than one image at the same time and separating between the views of the images and that by showing each image on a different scene.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Hasan,

Sounds like some dedicated Remote Sensing Image processing package with some GIS funtions would be better suited for you, assuming cost is not an option.

Something like ARCmap with proper plug-ins, ENVI, PCI Geomatica, IDRISI, or ERDAS Imagine. Having used all of these my personal favourite is Geomatica which allows alot of vector GIS operations as well as very powerful image processing. It is definitely not the cheapest option but is very powerful and has alot of possibilities for expansion with things like orthoengine, advanced atmospheic corrections, image fusion..... But your requirements are wide ranging and it could be that separate softarwe packages can do them all. Some of the freeware options discussed elsewhere on this board like GRASS, SAGA, or Multispec ( I am less familiar with them and they are more suitable for non-windows O/S). You may also be able to do some of the things you require as may the cheaper options like Manifold and Global Mapper.

I can tell you that vector illustration software like Illustrator , Freehand and plug-ins like Mapublisher are not at all suitable for the operation you require. Having not used the Geographic imager and only seen a brief demo I can tell you that it can do some of the things you require and photoshop can do others. But it would be in your best interest, if working with raw satellite imagery to work with software designed to do this. It will maintain spectral data integrity and allow for more accurate classification and other image processing work.

There are some very good reemote sensing communities out there on the web that may be a better place to discuss these issues.

Hasan

Hasan

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Syrian Arab Republic

I thank you very much for your great reply and for your time.

But, can you please like take each point and put answer under it explaining if it supported by Avenza products (with help of other softwares like illustrator..etc) and like tell me how is it supported or not. I would really really appreciate it very much.

Thank you very much again for the great help.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hasan,

Here goes:
(I'm going to answer these with Adobe Illustrator in mind as host application for MAPublisher, Photoshop as a host for Geographic Imager).

1- Ability of working with spatial images as it comes from any satellite imaging companies.

Yes, as long as it is in a format supported by Illustrator or Photoshop. SID and ECW are not supported as far as I know.

2- Ability of working with images with images which has colors deeper than 11-12 bit.

Yes, as long as it is supported by Illustrator or Photoshop.

3- Ability of working with Multi Band Images and converting them into one image.

Probably Photoshop with Geographic Imager, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Not as far as I know.

5- Ability of making "Extract" from an image to take a part of the image to another file.

Not as far as I know.

Probabely Photoshop with GI.

7- Ability of merging linear object in a file to be a part of the image (Vector to).

Yes, you can either overlay the vector in Illustrator/MP or import into Photoshop.

8- Ability of making "Compression" and "Overview" to make the viewing process faster without effecting the image resolution.

As far as I know Photoshop doesn't support MrSid or ECW, at least not natively.

That would be Photoshop functionality.

10- Ability of making "Histogram Matching" between the colors of more than one
image.

Probabely advanced Photoshop

Yes, with GI or in Illustrator/MP

What exactly do you mean with this?

13- Ability of "Projection Transformation" without the need to reconfigure the "Image Registration".

I think as soon as you transform, the image registration changes. However, this should happen automatically.

Yes, that's possible.

15- Ability of "Ortho Rectification" without the need to use the two images together.

Not possible.

Not possible.

Not possible as far as I know.

18- Supports establishing local projection and converting from and to it with respect
to the images.

Not possible as far as I know.

That's standard Photoshop functionality.

20- Ability of opening and saving images in the global extensions and in the default sizes that comes from the Satellite, with bands that its size could go up to more than 2 GB for more than 30000 pixel.

As long as it is within the limits of what Photoshop supports.

As long as it is within the limits of what Photoshop supports.

22- Ability of serving instant reports about the special operations about the classification, configurations, image registration, and "Warp File".

Not as far as I know.

Possible from MAPublisher, but not from GI.

Not possible.

25- Ability of extracting red band, green band, and blue band directly from the colored image.

Standard Photoshop functionality.

26- Ability of converting the classification results the observed and non observed to a Vector directly.

Not possible.

27- Ability of opening files of the type "GRID" and showing the values of the rise.

Do you mean ArcGRID? If so, not possible.

28- Ability of making the operations: Classify RGB. RGB to HIS. IHS to RGB. Complex Logical.

Standard Photoshop.

29- Ability of : Adjust or enhance the contrast of an image, collect and display, perform linear - equalized and non-linear contrast adjustments, perform image threshold and inversion, and perform logarithmic - exponential - Gaussian adjustments.

Standard Photoshop.

30- Ability of editing the size of the Pixel and how it is showed (nearest \Bi linear \ cubic).

Standard Photoshop.

31- Providing the engineering orders to update the image: Through the geometrical correction and a moving and a wrest and a modification of the geometrical directions.

???

32- Providing functions or orders for local improvements through addition of different filters to uncover the edges and loops (importunities and the windings), recovering data, visual improvements. Providing the visual with filters of the type: Lee or Frost, the change from frequency to image spatial and vice verse.

???

Not possible.

???

35- The system have to be completely compatible with the standards, tools, converts (convert to other types), and properties of the spatial imaging.
36- Provides the ability of enhancing the color of an image for each pixel alone and controlling the lighting of it like make it darker, brighter, ..etc.

Standard Photoshop tools allow you to do this.

37- Provides the ability of making Grid with coordinates and controlling the type of projection and draw the Grid depending on it.

???

38- Ability of opening more than one image at the same time and separating between the views of the images and that by showing each image on a different scene.

Standard Photoshop.

Like Martin has already indicated, some of the things you want to do can be done in Geographic Imager, but for most of it you really need a dedicated remote sensing package.

If you have some time, I would recommend that you download a demo version of Geographic Imager and give it a try.

Hope this helps.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Hasan, you may also wish to ask these questions of an Avenza representative. Avenza is an advertising sponsor of this forum, and its employees sometimes participate in discussions, but this is not an Avenza forum.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

ac_geographer

ac_geographer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Hasan,

Sounds to me you need a product like ArcGIS, which will allow you to accomplish most, if not all of your points. Along with ESRI's ArcGIS, you would also need to purchase an extension such as image analyst by Leica Systems. This would allow you to do your remote sensing

Hello,

Can you please help me to see if Avenza products would match my projects needs?

The following are the points I would like you to evaluate.

And if you can please tell me what softwares I will need (Adobe Photoshop?,Adobe Illustrator?,MAPublisher?,Geographic Imager?,Macromedia Freehand?....etc).
Then I will decide how many licenses I need to buy.

I'm looking forward to hear from you ASAP. I would really appreciate it.

The points:

10- Ability of making "Histogram Matching" between the colors of more than one image.
18- Supports establishing local projection and converting from and to it with respect to the images.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hasan

Hasan

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Syrian Arab Republic

Hans van der Maarel, thank you very very much for your time, your answer was very useful. You are great :)

ac_geographer, thank you very much for your great suggestion, and I think you are right :) ArcGIS + Image Analysis extension = solve problem :) I think :unsure:
You said "will allow you to accomplish most, if not all of your points" ... can you be sure?

Thank you all very much for the support and making the internet a better place ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->