• 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

We made some new maps for the City of Minneapolis, to get people to and from Target Field. One of them (here as a PDF) shows walking distances, which are not circles when you're using a grid pattern... on a perfect grid, they are diamond shaped. On this map, with the multiple grids, they are odd-shaped. Which begs the question: why make walking maps oriented to the grid? Anyone actually intentionally turned a map 45° to show walking distances as squares?

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

Nice map! Interesting typo in the legend, "waking times".... won't try punning on that one. :rolleyes:
I've done walking distance maps, but it's never occurred to me to try to be precise about it. I've always thought of it as inherently "fuzzy", and lending itself to a more aesthetic treatment, i.e.,. circles. (Sample we did as a proposal to realtors) Perhaps your more precise approach would instill more confidence in viewers....

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

We made some new maps for the City of Minneapolis, to get people to and from Target Field. One of them (here as a PDF) shows walking distances, which are not circles when you're using a grid pattern... on a perfect grid, they are diamond shaped. On this map, with the multiple grids, they are odd-shaped. Which begs the question: why make walking maps oriented to the grid? Anyone actually intentionally turned a map 45° to show walking distances as squares?

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I think I'm with Charles, mostly. I like distance circles on a gridiron map as a way to send them to a different visual layer. I must say I like your glowing blue lines, though. I would definitely make them more like contours, though, and maybe a little fatter and fuzzier so as to not suggest false precision.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Excellent! I can imagine the client mentioned something about Google map look or was that your call? It happens more often than ever. It sure looks great though.
I like the fuzzy lines, though maybe a baseball green would ring truer?

Curious, were the walk times considerate of the average green traffic light waits plus distance?
Thanks for sharing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->