14 replies to this topic

DanTheMapMan

DanTheMapMan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Canada

This is a map made in a constricted paper size, with the requirement that 100% of streets be present & labeled... makes for a very crowded map surface, but it has managed to do ok for readability so far.

Anyway, here is a high-res JPG link, please have a look and let me know what you think!! I recieved some input on last years version (which made it into the ESRI 2010 Calendar & the 2010 edition of the ESRI Mapbook) and made changes based on the input!

Thanks!

Posted Image

Andre Levesque

Andre Levesque

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

Great map!

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

Ooh ... nice work. Really nice!

I really like the background: nice gradient and it doesn't shout at the rest of the map - is it a DEM of some kind?

It took me a while to link the colours on the map with the backgrounds on your legend but it works well once you've made the connection. I am wondering if the background of your legend should be white though - there is a part of me looking for the light green behind numbers 1 to 8 - and the white would make it "pop" a bit more as they say ;) ! Also, does the pale orange in the list go with the dark orange on the map - I'd make them the same colour but possibly plump for the lighter orange as the dark orange would be a bit of a poke in the eye on the legend.

... hang on a minute ... is that ... COMIC SANS :angry: ?! :rolleyes: :lol: ;)

You've obviously put a lot of time into the annotation. It's great overall but where there is text over the dark brown lines it loses some readability.

Only other thing is the north arrow ... it sort of blends in with the background and looks as though it really doesn't want to be there ;) ! Maybe make it white and give it a bit of impact - possibly put it above the legend or below the title.

It a fantastic map overall! What software did you use to put it together? Is it an ESRI-only job or did you export to finish off the details?

DanTheMapMan

DanTheMapMan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Canada

Ooh ... nice work. Really nice!

I really like the background: nice gradient and it doesn't shout at the rest of the map - is it a DEM of some kind?

It took me a while to link the colours on the map with the backgrounds on your legend but it works well once you've made the connection. I am wondering if the background of your legend should be white though - there is a part of me looking for the light green behind numbers 1 to 8 - and the white would make it "pop" a bit more as they say ;) ! Also, does the pale orange in the list go with the dark orange on the map - I'd make them the same colour but possibly plump for the lighter orange as the dark orange would be a bit of a poke in the eye on the legend.

... hang on a minute ... is that ... COMIC SANS :angry: ?! :rolleyes: :lol: ;)

You've obviously put a lot of time into the annotation. It's great overall but where there is text over the dark brown lines it loses some readability.

Only other thing is the north arrow ... it sort of blends in with the background and looks as though it really doesn't want to be there ;) ! Maybe make it white and give it a bit of impact - possibly put it above the legend or below the title.

It a fantastic map overall! What software did you use to put it together? Is it an ESRI-only job or did you export to finish off the details?

Thanks for the review!!

You are correct, the background is a DEM.

As for the colors in the legend, the green fill does not relate to anything on the map, nor does the light tan / orange. I made the green part green simply because the background on the map is green, hoping they would relate a bit... but I didnt want it to be the same green because then the legend would disappear too much... and the lighter color kind of relates to the downtown orange, accept for 2 of the points are not in Downtown... actually, I think I will re-arrange that legend and play with using the downtown orange color.

The north arrow is meant to kinda not be noticed... since not many people actually care where North is... I tried last year making a north arrow that stood out a bit more, and it was turned down by the client.

The background is generated in ESRI ArcMap, and the main source for all the data is our SDE server, however, the bulk of the cartography & final layout is done with Illustrator.

And yes, there is some Comic Sans.... is this a frowned upon font or something?? I kinda like it!

-Daniel

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

As for the colors in the legend, the green fill does not relate to anything on the map, nor does the light tan / orange. I made the green part green simply because the background on the map is green, hoping they would relate a bit... but I didnt want it to be the same green because then the legend would disappear too much... and the lighter color kind of relates to the downtown orange, accept for 2 of the points are not in Downtown... actually, I think I will re-arrange that legend and play with using the downtown orange color.

I think it would be neat of you could organise it so that the legend colours matched the map colours. It might just be the way my mind works but it makes sense and it would tie everything together neatly.

The background is generated in ESRI ArcMap, and the main source for all the data is our SDE server, however, the bulk of the cartography & final layout is done with Illustrator.
-Daniel

My god, do we work in the same office :lol: ?! That's more or less the workflow for every map I've made, right down to the SDE server!

And yes, there is some Comic Sans.... is this a frowned upon font or something?? I kinda like it!

:lol: Whatever floats your boat as they say :D ! I can't talk - I have dropped some brilliant typographical clangers in my day. If it fits the map, looks good and is clear and readable you can use any font you like!

DanTheMapMan

DanTheMapMan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Canada

:lol: Whatever floats your boat as they say :D ! I can't talk - I have dropped some brilliant typographical clangers in my day. If it fits the map, looks good and is clear and readable you can use any font you like!

I have allways liked the casual curvey look of that font... Also have been liking "Miso" as well..... any other free fonts you can recommend that fall into the san-serif "casual curvey look" category :)

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

I have allways liked the casual curvey look of that font... Also have been liking "Miso" as well..... any other free fonts you can recommend that fall into the san-serif "casual curvey look" category :)

We seem to default to Arial Rounded >>yawn<< :lol: ! I spend quite a bit of time trawling around www.dafont.com for inspiration. Trouble is I usually end up impulsively downloading scores of fonts that I have no practical application for only because they look groovy! They do have plently of well-organised categories so it's usually quite easy to find something to fit the bill if you're hunting for a certain type of font ... if you'll pardon the pun!

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • United States

Nice map!

I understand you're under various constraints. Are the cased line roads one of the constraints? If not it might be worth considering only using casing for the major roads/streets. In some areas with very dense streets the "blocks" look almost rediculously compressed. It took me a while to figure out the street labels on the brown dashed lines were labels on dashed lines and not just labels lost on their own without any linework. Those labels should probably be moved up off the lines.

I actually like the subtlety of the north arrow. :)

The orange on the dowtown/centre-ville map seems a bit strong.

Interesting how you combined the French and English names so you're not repeating common parts of the name where possible. Looks like a good way to save space on a bilingual map. Did you do that on the previous version, too? Is it a standard thing to do? I'm just wondering how map readers take to it (or not).
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

DanTheMapMan

DanTheMapMan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Canada

Nice map!

I understand you're under various constraints. Are the cased line roads one of the constraints? If not it might be worth considering only using casing for the major roads/streets. In some areas with very dense streets the "blocks" look almost rediculously compressed. It took me a while to figure out the street labels on the brown dashed lines were labels on dashed lines and not just labels lost on their own without any linework. Those labels should probably be moved up off the lines.

I actually like the subtlety of the north arrow. :)

The orange on the dowtown/centre-ville map seems a bit strong.

Interesting how you combined the French and English names so you're not repeating common parts of the name where possible. Looks like a good way to save space on a bilingual map. Did you do that on the previous version, too? Is it a standard thing to do? I'm just wondering how map readers take to it (or not).

The dashed line roads there are there now (most of them anyway) will not be dashed in the near future... as they are no longer under construction. I find using the double line casing style roads the text is easier to read, because this way the text ends up being against a white background (the center of the road) instead of on-top of whatever color the single line road would be, with the space constraints, placing the text on-top of the road symbol is really the only choice, as placing the text above the line (or off the line at all) would end up being pretty confusing in areas. The map used to use a single line style road, but I changed it 2 years ago as an experiment to assist in the readability of the road names, and it seemed to result in people saying it was easier to read.

The french / english thing is the way we traditionally handle the bi-lingual maps we do, and no one complains (french or english!)

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

The french / english thing is the way we traditionally handle the bi-lingual maps we do, and no one complains (french or english!)

I didn't notice until you pointed it out! It's a smart idea - I like it!

Regarding the casements, in the spirit of compromise could you selectively mask the casement around the text so that it is lighter by about 50% or so. I did something like that for some local plan maps and it seems to work better than completely obscuring the casement around text.

Attached File  lairg.gif   638.43KB   92 downloads

It's not quite the same thing as road casements but you can see around the text that black and red lines fade to gray and pink to improve the readability. This was all done inside ArcMap which is why it looks a bit choppy but you get the idea.

DanTheMapMan

DanTheMapMan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Canada

I didn't notice until you pointed it out! It's a smart idea - I like it!

Regarding the casements, in the spirit of compromise could you selectively mask the casement around the text so that it is lighter by about 50% or so. I did something like that for some local plan maps and it seems to work better than completely obscuring the casement around text.

It's not quite the same thing as road casements but you can see around the text that black and red lines fade to gray and pink to improve the readability. This was all done inside ArcMap which is why it looks a bit choppy but you get the idea.

I see what you mean, and that method could work on some maps I do, and I may use it instead of a solid color halo, but I have a feeling that with the amount of text on this map I would end up with more of the obscure color then the actual color!

NSBuhwheat

NSBuhwheat

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Canada

Great job on the map, and you made the July selection of the ESRI Canada calendar to boot!

Just out of curiosity, did you also generate a street listing based on the A\N grid?

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Jamie Whitters
Planning\GIS Technologist
Planning & Development Department
Cape Breton Regional Municipality,
Sydney, NS

This is a map made in a constricted paper size, with the requirement that 100% of streets be present & labeled... makes for a very crowded map surface, but it has managed to do ok for readability so far.

Anyway, here is a high-res JPG link, please have a look and let me know what you think!! I recieved some input on last years version (which made it into the ESRI 2010 Calendar & the 2010 edition of the ESRI Mapbook) and made changes based on the input!

Thanks!

Posted Image

DanTheMapMan

DanTheMapMan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Canada

Well, I think its done!

I plan on submitting the final artwork to the printer this afternoon or tomorrow morning, depending on the review it receives here!

-Daniel

The Map:
Posted Image

The Index for it:
Posted Image

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Looks great to me!
Excellent job, congratulations!
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

Your map is great. May I use it in an upcoming presentation as an example of a great map? (See your CartoTalk mail where I wrote you a message with more details.) Let me know, thank you!

--Gretchen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->