• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Jan Helebrant

Jan Helebrant

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:GIS, open-source, graphics (both 2D and 3D), multimedia, taking photos
  • Czech Republic

Hi,
I have some data from my colleague - it is Microstation DGN with buildings in some industrial facility and some point data. I loaded it to QGIS, saved as shapefile and now I need to do some boreholes data analysis and also some maps.

Problem is, that the coordinates are in this format:

OBJECT X Y

Point_1 13,35 -75,24

Point_2 13,35 -75,26

Point_3 13,12 -75,37

Point_4 13,23 -75,31

Point_5 13,21 -75,38

all this data should be located in this area - northern part of Czech Republic (Central Europe) - I supplied a link to
Google Maps - the area is surrounded by the yellow roads on the west and north and by the bow-shaped railway.

I worked with some similar data, which were in JTSK, but this is surely not JTSK and I am unable to find out if this is any know CRS. I looked on spatialreference.org but without success. I also though about simple cartesian coordinates, but why negative "Y" values?

I sent email to my colleague but got no reply yet so asking also here. :rolleyes:

thanks

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Could be anything really. The problem with DGN is that it won't store coordinate system information, just the values (and even then there's enough room for confusion since it will only store integer values and relies on scale factors to report the correct numbers)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Jan Helebrant

Jan Helebrant

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:GIS, open-source, graphics (both 2D and 3D), multimedia, taking photos
  • Czech Republic

Could be anything really. The problem with DGN is that it won't store coordinate system information, just the values (and even then there's enough room for confusion since it will only store integer values and relies on scale factors to report the correct numbers)

Thanks for the reply,
I was afraid of this :P

Because the shapes were too complicated and would take to much time to redraw them manually, I finally manually moved the shapes to WGS map area and used affine transformation tool for shapes available in Kosmo GIS to fit it semi-manually on georeferenced map from google using the buildings and roads as reference. It also needed more steps, but the result is ok and now I can combine it with Openstreetmap data in QGIS to produce some nice maps. :)

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

It's good that you managed to sort this out, Jan. I did wonder if these were xy ordinate pairs plotted on a local grid having it's origin on a bench mark somewhere off to the south and east of the area in question.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->