- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

The maps are the bindery getting folded right now and I thought I would post a sample. There are a total of 11 inset maps (back side) and 1 regional map that were printed on Polyart. This is our 8th edition and we changed quite a few things (extent, scale, classification, etc.) this time around to make it easier to use and more informative. I added a new symbol to indicate uphills that I have termed "elevation fins." I have never really liked the typical "chevron" hill-symbol and crafted the fins instead.

I have posted the Downtown Portland inset, a legend and an overview map showing the insets.

Attached File  Downtown.jpg   1.22MB   309 downloads

Attached File  legend_copy.jpg   153.91KB   126 downloads

Attached File  Overview022410_1.png   1.17MB   186 downloads

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

Nice work Matt! ;)

Why the SW lighting on the overview map?

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • United States

I created a plan-oblique hillshade for the full regional map and used it for the overview map as well.

I think if you used the standard NW lighting for a plan-oblique you'd go blind. :P

www.oregonmetro.gov

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

LOL.

Perhaps it's my lack of familiarity with this terrain or the high angle that i didn't not see this.

Why did you choose to use a plan oblique relief for this map?

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • United States

I didn't catch the plan oblique either, but I did notice I wasn't seeing an inversion effect. Interesting.
Nice work, Matthew!
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Nice work.

Not sure on the Bike shop symbol. (Looks a bit like a grapefruit) :) and it does not match (IMO) the rest of your symbol palette.

Also notice that "Spring water on the Willamette" is reading upside down... In the old days that was a no no (except for contour labels)

Regards,
Chart

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • United States

I rendered a plan oblique for the regional side and really liked the perspective. I had it on hand and used it for the overview map too. FWIW - it's only 2.75" x 4" on paper so the effect is moderate.

Our agency purchased just purchased over 1100 acres for preservation on Chehalem Ridge (the semi crescent-shaped ridge in the SW) and I like how the plan oblique highlights that area.

LOL.

Perhaps it's my lack of familiarity with this terrain or the high angle that i didn't not see this.

Why did you choose to use a plan oblique relief for this map?

www.oregonmetro.gov

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • United States

The Bike shop symbol corresponds to the cover art. I wanted at least one element on the map to thread back to the art we used on the cover and in other spot locations. We worked with Hot Pepper Studios for the art, some focus groups, etc.

Here's the cover. It has ties to our Walk There! guidebook.

Attached File  front_v1.jpg   79.07KB   46 downloads

Nice work.

Not sure on the Bike shop symbol. (Looks a bit like a grapefruit) :) and it does not match (IMO) the rest of your symbol palette.

Regards,

www.oregonmetro.gov

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

One minor detail I'd like to hear opinions about: the park shapes not going all the way to the street lines. I'm about 75% done with a new edition of the Chicagoland bikemap, and for the first time am able to use GIS data for the basemap. Careful GIS digitizing doesn't include street right-of-ways as part of local park parcels, so when the street line weight is very narrow, the parks don't touch the surrounding streets. Does this bother anyone else?
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Canada

Yes, Dennis, this kind of stuff bothers me. It looks so....GIS-y. When I get this kind of situation, I like to drag-select that part of the line in and pull it over to the road, or, if necessary, redraw. (I'm assuming FreeHand here; not sure if you can do that kind of editing in Illy.)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

One minor detail I'd like to hear opinions about: the park shapes not going all the way to the street lines. I'm about 75% done with a new edition of the Chicagoland bikemap, and for the first time am able to use GIS data for the basemap. Careful GIS digitizing doesn't include street right-of-ways as part of local park parcels, so when the street line weight is very narrow, the parks don't touch the surrounding streets. Does this bother anyone else?

Paul H

Paul H

Paul from JIMAPCO

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • United States

Please pardon my ignorance, but to me the regional map looks like the lighting if from the Northeast. And the river and lake by Camas (upper-right) look like they are on top of ridges, as does the river by Estacada (lower-right). I'm not experienced with plan-oblique, but I would think that on the plan-oblique regional map the inset boundaries would not be parallelograms. Again, I might be looking at this all wrong. Just my observations.

Paul H

Paul H

Paul from JIMAPCO

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • United States

OK, I looked at it again. The lighting IS from the Southwest! My brain was throwing everything upside down, that's why those rivers looked like they were on top of the ridges. Sorry.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

When I get this kind of situation, I like to drag-select that part of the line in and pull it over to the road, or, if necessary, redraw.

I do, too, but that's a lot of redrawing for every park in the eight-county Chicago metropolitan area.

I had to smile at this one this afternoon, though:

Posted Image
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

OdeBode

OdeBode

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Nice work Matthew.

I didn't notice the parks/streets until Charles pointed them out. Seems like quite a bit of work for minimal payoff to me, but I'm fairly new to this.

I do agree with CHART on the bike shop symbol. Have you tried using an outline of an entire bicycle in the style of the cover? I can appreciate your challenge. Your map looks very professional while the cover is more playful. Have you experimented with using different fonts for the main map features and legend?

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • United States

When I get this kind of situation, I like to drag-select that part of the line in and pull it over to the road, or, if necessary, redraw.

I do, too, but that's a lot of redrawing for every park in the eight-county Chicago metropolitan area.

I had to smile at this one this afternoon, though:

Posted Image

That's a good one Dennis!

Having the ROW and the parks off-set is problematic. I placed my parks on my raster layer which makes it a bit challenging to fix (that and the sheer number in this 5 county area). If they were vectors you could also give 'em a little stroke to make up the difference and fill-in the gaps.

www.oregonmetro.gov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->