• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

alg207

alg207

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Australia

Calling all students: enter your work! Calling all cartography instructors and friends of cartography students: encourage your students/friends to enter their work!

We would like to encourage students to enter their work in the NACIS student web mapping competition. It is not necessary to attend the conference to enter, but we do have student travel awards that can help students get to the conference: http://www.nacis.org/index.cfm?x=27.

In only a few years, the World Wide Web has revolutionized how cartographers manage, conceptualize, and present map information. The North American Cartographic Information Society (NACIS) recognizes the growing importance of the Web to the future of cartography. We are sponsoring the 12th Annual Student Web Mapping Competition to encourage cartographic excellence and innovation in this versatile new media.

There are two competition categories: animated maps and interactive maps:

An interactive map offers more than just the traditional representation of spatial information; it provides tools that may be used for navigation, retrieving more information, transforming the information, and many other possibilities.

An animated map displays a sequence or a series of cartographic views of spatial information. The challenge is to convey the sense of transition and something significant about seeing the information in animated form.

A first prize of $500 will be awarded to the best map animation and interactive map. At the discretion of the judges, additional noteworthy maps may receive an honorable mention award. All first place and honorable mention maps will receive award certificates.

Any student enrolled in a certificate program, undergraduate, or graduate/post-graduate program in any country who has not previously won first prize in either of the categories from this contest may enter.

Entries must be submitted by Friday September 17, 2010.

Details of the competition and examples of past winners can be seen at: http://www.nacis.org/index.cfm?x=4.

Enviro Mapper

Enviro Mapper

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Canada

Given that the NACIS owns the forum...would it be appropriate for me to ask for advice on potential entries? I made two interactive maps this year and I suppose it wouldn't hurt to submit them as entries. But I wonder if there might be useful suggestions I could get here on some tweaking before I send them in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->